Cannot open some Office files after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Hi everyone,

This is Bryan from the Office team.  We are extremely sorry to learn that some of you are running into an issue with Office after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 where some of your Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents are failing to open with various error messages, such as:

• Word: “Word experienced an error trying to open the file”
  • Excel: “This file is corrupt and cannot be opened”
  • PowerPoint:
    • “The application was unable to start correctly"
    • “PowerPoint found a problem with <filename>"
    • “Sorry, PowerPoint can’t read <filename>"

[UPDATE - 8/25/2015]

On Monday, a fix went out to all Office 2013 Click-to-Run users that fixed the Protected View issue that was preventing some files from opening.  For those users, the Office applications would launch and even creating new documents worked fine; however, opening some files resulted in various error messages like above.  If you haven't already been prompted to install the August update, you can manually trigger by going into an Office application like Word, then select File > Account > Update Options > Update Now.

There are other known issues that could also cause similar error messages, but those are not related to the specific Protected View issue.  Teams are working hard to determine the root cause and resolve those issues.  For instance, if you are running Windows 10 and Office is running in Windows compatibility mode for a prior version, you likely will also experience issues.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused due to this issue!

Sincerely,

Bryan

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

See solution above
Benoit Barabe, Director of Development in Office.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

No help at all, either here or at the link. Neither "workaround" makes any difference; Word 2013 still will not open. Have done full uninstall and reinstall of Office 365 (several hours of frustration), and have tried every "fix" and "solution" offered on the Web. Microsoft has a serious problem with Windows 10 and needs to get it fixed soon.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry you are having issues starting Word 2013. The solution above is specific to upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10, to solve the problem that some files cannot be opened. It will not help any issue with Word itself not starting.

Please start a new thread (ask a question) with as much detail as you can (what did you upgrade from, what exact version of Office do you have, what happen when you launch Word or Excel, ...)

Thanks,

Benoit.

Benoit Barabe, Director of Development in Office.

Sorry this didn't help.

Benoit,

You are kidding, right?  All the money and technology available to you at Microsoft and nobody thought about installing the software into a few computers who had been running various versions of Windows and let them increase the intensity of their use to test possible issues with compatibility.  For the first time, I am considering using a Mac.  I am so disappointed about my experience with Windows 8 to the point that my new computer had to use 7 and now this.   I think I should short your stock today.  I am beyond frustrated and the lack of urgency on your behalf seems totally inappropriate.

Sorry this didn't help.

But the situation described (upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7, and then not being able to open Word) is EXACTLY my situation. Yes, I did attempt to open a .docx attachment to an email message, which seems to have triggered the problem.

So far NONE of the suggested "workarounds" or "fixes" have done any good. I even wasted hours upon hours with a complete uninstall/reinstall of Office 365 to no avail. I'm about ready to toss Windows 10 in the trash bin and go back to Windows 7. At least Win7 lets me use all of the software I've paid for.

Sorry this didn't help.

Now that office 2013 has been uninstalled I cant reinstall it...Tells me "something went wrong"  error 3-4 and refers me to go online which doesn't help me because my office was purchased via my employer at Scripps medical...Great stuff.

Sorry this didn't help.

Kboy24,

I did the repair where I went to the control panel and it worked!  Still can't believe they didn't find it before they rolled it out. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086786

Give it a try.

Sorry this didn't help.

By the way, I did the second workaround. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Neither of these fixes are helping me and Word is still not working. I also can't get wireless on my laptop anymore so it appears to have disabled that for some reason.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yep. It's about time for MS to step up to the bar and provide a realistic solution. It's difficult to understand why a problem that didn't exist in previous versions of Windows, and for which they claim to know the reason, can't be put right in short order.

It's rumored that Windows 10 SP 1 will be out by the end of the month, and SP 2 sometime in October. Do we have to wait until then to be able to use this "better than ever" version of Windows? Two years + in the making, and they still don't have it right.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 15, 2020 Views 8,277 Applies to: