When opening Solver in Excel 2010 I get a Compile error in hidden module: SolverCode error

I just enabled the Solver add-in and when I try to start it, I get a "Compile error in hidden module: SolverCode" error.  I have tried looking at all of the Excel Start folders (as suggested by similar errors) but they are empty.  I am running Win 7 and Office in 64bit mode.

Any ideas?

PS I am uncertain whether it is related but several months ago I tried to install an add-in called PH Stat for a class I was taking.  It never seemed to work so I uninstalled it, but ever since, Excel asks me for permission to make changes to the hard drive when I start it, and will not open a file directly (i.e. double clicking an Excel file will cause Excel to open (with the permission warning) but will nor open the target file.

Question Info

Last updated January 9, 2019 Views 18,893 Applies to:
Answer
Did you clear the XLSTART folder from both the locations given below? If not Clear the files from both the Excel startup folders from the locations mentioned below
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\XLSTART
C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
Note: Take a backup of files before deleting the files.

Also check if Excel is running in compatible mode:
Close Excel; go to the location given below:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
Right click on EXCEL.EXE< Properties< Compatibility< uncheck the box ‘Run this Program in Compatibility Mode’, Make sure you also click on the option "change settings for all users" tab at the bottom of the same screen and click on Apply and Ok, open Excel and check if it works.

Also browse to the location given below, select SOLVER.XLA and open it:
1.       C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\Library\SOLVER
2.       Close Excel and reopen it normally and check if you are able to use solver add-in.

33 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.