Q: Excel startup problem XPpro 2002 C++ runtime This thread is locked from future replies

Office has been working fine for years

Recently excel will not start and I get an error box from the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime library saying "Runtime Error!  Program: C:\...\Office10\excel.exe   abnormal program termination

When I click OK excel shuts down.  This is the same whether I start Excel from start menu, office shortcut bar etc without any particular file or if I double click on an excel file.

No other office program seems affected,  word and powerpoint are working normally.

It’s usually because of some add-in going corrupt. Usually renaming the add in file will solve the problem. As an example, renaming the Pdfmvisio.vsl file which is an Adobe addin file, to Pdfmvisio.old could resolve the issue. To do this, follow the steps below:  

Empty XLStart folder

First of all we need to enable the viewing of Hidden Files & Folders.

To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:

a.       Close all programs so that you are on your desktop screen.

b.      Click on the Start button. This is the small round button with the Windows flag in the lower left corner.

c.       Click on the Control Panel menu option. When the control panel opens you can either be in Classic View:
                     Double-click on the Folder Options icon & Click on the View tab.

d.      Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.

e.       Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.

f.      Press the Apply button and then the OK button.

g.      Now Windows will be configured to show hidden files.

1. Now browse to the following location:

In Windows XP :

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Xlstart

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

In Windows Vista/Windows 7 :

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Xlstart

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart

2. Move all the files to a different folder anywhere on the computer.

3. Please make sure you have no files in the above folder.

4. Now try to open excel files by double-clicking. 

For more information and other basic steps that can be tried for this issue, follow the article below: 

Sachin Shetty, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 2,807 Last updated: March 11, 2018 Applies to: