COMMA DELIMITED FILES

I want to import a comma delimited text file into excel(Office 2003). I found the following instructions in a thread in this forum but it does not tell me where to type the command string so I am lost.

Select the column, then

Data > TextToColumns > CheckDelimited > Next > CheckComma > Next > Finish

Can anyone give me detailed instructions please?

It is not a "command", it is a path of locations and commands in the menu / ribbon user interface.

In Excel 2003 that would be Data menu > TextToColumns command which launches a dialog box.

In the dialog, turn on the check box for "Delimited"

Click the Next button

in the list of delimiters, turn on the check box for "Comma" (and clear any others)

Click next button

Click finish button

Although this article is for the Ribbon user interface, the path, and the dialog box it launches is essentially the same as the path you mentioned.  See the pictures in the article for guidance

Convert dd/mm/yyyy to mm/dd/yyyy in Excel cells?
https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/4646-excel-convert-dd-mm-yyyy-to-mm-dd-yyyy.html

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I imported the comma delimited text into the first box in the worksheet but as soon as I hit the "Text to columns" command I got an error message. It said that it could only convert one column at a time and nothing further happened. It tells me to try again by selecting cells in one column only.

The  text file is more than a hundred rows so I do not see how I could select cells for one column. It would be quicker to do the whole job manually in the first place.

I looked at the page you referred me to but I am afraid I do not see any connection with the task I am trying to do.

So I am still completely lost

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Describe in excruciating detail the steps / commands you use to encounter your problem. 

At this point it would speed things up immensely if you could provide us with an example of the CSV you are working with.  And maybe an example of what it looks like when you do the import.  Put them into a folder, upload it to your personal OneDrive and share it with us.  It does not have to be a large example file, several typical rows is enough. Remove or replace "sensitive"/personal information

Upload Example - Trouble Shooting - Share Personal OneDrive File (not Business OneDrive)

Trouble shooting problems in files can be like a visit to the dentist, a long, slow painful process of us trying to “extract” the clues needed to recognize the problem in a back and forth flow of questions and answers so that we can come up with a / “the” solution.

Often it is faster and easier for everyone if we have a “sample file” get "hands on", to look at, and to “play with”.

This next link provides some tips on setting up a sample file and specific instructions for uploading and "sharing" it for us to access:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-winapps/trouble-shooting-share-onedrive-file/a231a097-bcbf-4e34-ad6c-a33118baf471

that article links to macros to randomize text in Word and numbers in Excel

This article describes another way of sharing Office files:

2020 03 09- Share a cloud stored document from Microsoft Office
https://office-watch.com/2020/share-cloud-stored-document-microsoft-office/
Using “Invites” to specific people from inside Office apps. Modify document access permissions and add a “note” with “how to” instructions for recipient

The first 2 minutes of this video gives an example of What I mean by a “simple” example. Use short simple names and quantities, and just 2 or 3 rows per sample data you want calculations done on.  You want simple numbers so you can do the math checks in your head.

Col- Stacking Columns of Data (Unpivot, Split Columns by delimiter, and everything!)(PowerQuery)            2017 04 16
http://ozdusoleil.com/2017/04/16/power-query-stacking-columns-of-data-unpivot-split-columns-by-delimiter-and-everything/
We’ve got headers and a large number of paired columns that need to be condensed down to just 2 columns. 

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

||I have uploaded a folder containing the sample files to my One Drive account but I can only get the "Send Link" option which requires a name or address to send to. There is no "Copy a Link" option.

So next I looked at the Office-Watch option which also requires a name or address to send to.

So now I am even more lost than my previous message.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2021 Views 162 Applies to: