Why is Excel column Pixel width different on different machines, but same OS, same resolution, same Excel verison, etc.?

I have two different computers, both running Windows 10, Excel 2010 version 14.7173.5000 (64 bit), same monitor with resolution set at 1366x768, same default font (Calibri 11), same file type XLSM, and same default printer.

However, when I look at computer A, the column width is 8.43 with a pixel width of 74, but computer B has a column width of 8.38 and a pixel width of 83. 

I would think the pixel width would be the same considering everything I mentioned above.  This is changing the behavior of my Excel application on all computers with the pixel width of 83. 

Any ideas on why this would occur?

If I could control the pixel width of columns in VBA, that may help as well.  I looked for this, but could not find a clean solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Answer
Answer

Good news! Windows has released a fix for this issue, which you can get by installing Windows update KB3197954.

Issue summary:
When using ClearType with the Windows Anniversary update, Excel column widths can be larger than in earlier versions of Windows. This happens in only some fonts, such as Calibri. It can affect all versions of Office 2016.

Please let us know if you continue to encounter any issues.

Freya
Office Newsroom

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 29, 2024 Views 6,028 Applies to: