"ODBC Excel Driver Login Failed: External table is not in the expected format" error message

I have recently upgraded to Excel 2007 at my workplace, and I'm having trouble bringing in external data from Excel 2007.  Here's what I do and the problem I'm having.

Under the 'Data' menu, in the 'Get External Data' section, I select 'From Other Sources'.  From the resultant menu, I select 'From Microsoft Query'.  The 'Choose Data Source' window appears.  I double click 'Excel Files*' from the selection list.   This brings up a window titled 'Select Workbook'' that allows me to browse my computer and network for Excel files to import.  In the bottom left corner of this window is a field called 'List Files of Type:' that has a drop-down box.  The choices contained in the drop-down box are:  'Excel Files (*.xls)' and 'All Files (*.*)'.  There is no option for .xlsx files.  If I select 'All Files', of course I can choose an .xlsx file from the menu.  If I try this, however, I get the error message listed in the title box of this post.  If I choose a .xls file, it works as expected. . .it only fails if I try to import data from .xlsx files.  This is a feature I frequently used in Excel 2003, so I'm very familiar with it.  It appears to be a bug. . . I don't think MSQuery has been upgraded to accept Excel 2007 files.

I'm not an IT professional, but I've had help troubleshooting this from the IT guy here in my workplace.  We've tried creating files in 2007 as well as converting them from 2003 to 2007.  We get the same result either way.  We've tried it on other computers with the same result.  We've searched the web, and we haven't found another instance of this problem.  He even reloaded Office for me, but nothing fixes it.  I'm convinced (as I said), that MSQuery hasn't been upgraded to accept .xlsx files.  I've searched

Any ideas?

Answer
Answer
Hi all,
I just tried the same in Excel 2010 beta and it worked fine. So we have a resolution coming up soon...Wonder when the full version will be released :-)

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 35,657 Applies to: