Problems working with .xlsm files containing macros, using Excel 2016 on a Mac?

BACKGROUND SUMMARY

Up until recently, I used a PC running the latest version of Windows 10 with Office 365, including the fully installed Office applications (Word, Excel etc).

I now use a MacBook Pro running the latest version of macOS Sierra with Office 365, including the fully installed Office applications (Word, Excel etc) for Mac. Updates are set to automatically download and install.

THE PROBLEM

.xlsm files containing macros created in the latest version of Excel on a Windows 10 PC, won't currently work as intended in the latest version of Excel (version 15.34 17051500) on a MacBook Pro running the latest macOS Sierra.

This is the first image I see after opening a .xlsm file on a MacBook Pro.

I want to enable macros, as I trust the source who sent me the .xlsm file, so I click "Enable Macros".

I then receive this image after clicking "Enable Macros".

As you can see, the only options I have are to click "Cancel", which completely closes the .xlsm file, or to click "Open as Read-Only", which automatically disables the macros.

To click "Open as Read-Only" means that the .xlsm file cannot be used as originally intended. For example, drop down boxes do not function as originally intended and therefore relevant data will not display.

IDEAL SOLUTION

Microsoft and Apple to work together to provide the appropriate updates to Excel on a Mac.

ALTERNATIVE SOLUTIONS

Installing a Virtual Machine on my MacBook Pro, such as Parallels. Then installing the latest version of Windows 10 onto the Virtual Machine. I will then have 2 operating systems running independently on my MacBook Pro, allowing me access to both operating systems at the same time. This will cost money for the purchase of Windows 10 and monthly/annual subscription to Parallels, as well as the time spent setting up.

Alternatively, purchase Windows 10 standalone and install via Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro. This will cost money for the purchase of Windows 10, as well as the time spent setting up.

CONCLUSION

I love Microsoft. I love Apple. If you can please both work together to provide the appropriate updates to Excel on a Mac, this would be the ideal solution.

I hope that I'm the only one that currently has problems working with .xlsm files containing macros, using Excel 2016 on a Mac.

Are you or have you experienced the same or similar problems?

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2019 Views 4,077 Applies to:
Answer

In addition to Bob's excellent reply. Take into consideration there three types of VBA Code:

1. Content Controls
  2. Active-X Controls
  3. Legacy Form Controls

Active-X is banned by Apple
(can't be made safe the way implemented banned since 1995/96)

Microsoft hasn't seen fit to add Content controls to the Mac Version.

(although in recent version Excel Mac can't write "Content" controls, it's my understanding Excel 2016 can recognize and accept content controls.) This situation may change in future when they get through working on the Visual Basic Editor. (Don't take my word on that as gospel. It would be, pure speculation that they will add content controls, in the future.)

Legacy controls work just fine in either version.  

This is the extent of my knowledge on the subject as this what I have read. I've kept up with computer news since I began using computers.  So my reply is based on my reading of computer news. 

_________

Disclaimer:

The questions, discussions, opinions, replies & answers I create, are solely mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon my position as a Community Moderator.

If my reply has helped, mark accordingly - Helpful or Answer
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.