"Out of Memory" error message when opening 1.8 MB spreadsheet in Excel 2011, either 14.0.0 (reloaded) or 14.3.4 versions

Opening my 2 MB Excel spreadsheet, in use for 15 years, now generates "Out of Memory" message, and I cannot save changes. Macros are not available. Also happens with previous copies. Is there any way to increase the Excel memory allocation? Or has MS found a fix to this problem that I also see others having?
IF you have Lion (OSX.7.x) or Mountain Lion (OSX.8.x)  or even Snow Leopard (OSX.6.8)  you can use Time Machine to restore an Older version. I would go back to the Last day it worked. and Restore it Keeping both.

Try opening the restored old version If so, Copy the Contents. open a Blank sheet,  use Paste Special to what you want (but not everything) save under a new name and rebuild any macros if you were using any to get back to square one. 15 years is a Very long time to work on the same File. along the was it should have been saved using Save As... many times along the years to keep the crude cleaned out.

If you didn't save the file with time machine, and didn't save backups, over the years: Try downloading either a version of OpenOffice (My preferences LibreOffice or NeoOffice) or Numbers from Apple. Try opening the File. If the File Opens, immediately export as xlsx format file saving uder a different name.  Then open in excel and ad you macros and save (using save as a version of XLSX that saves Macros.

If this doesn't help. I don't know of any help, unless XinXin from Microsoft happens to be lurking. If so and he ask to send the file. Do as he says. Send him a Copy. He is an absolute genius at fixing broken Excel Files. If he can't fix it no one can.
If my reply has helped, mark accordingly - Helpful or Answer
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You can try to open the file with the Windows version of Excel. If successful, save it in Windows and move it back to the Mac.

Regards,
Edwin Tam

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is highly unlikely that you are really out of memory. (And no , there is no way to increase Excel's memory allocation.) What is most likely is that the file has become corrupted. If you do not have a functioning backup, the only thing I can suggest is the same as Edwin's: try opening the file with a copy of Windows Excel and then saving it again with another file name. then try the new copy on the Mac.
Bob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks to all for your answers. I uninstalled Office 2011, installed from disk with updates and still have the problem, so agree that it probably is not an Excel issue. 

I have opened (with no problem, no errors) a few Timeshare files from up to a month ago. Modified them to reduce the file size, including the removal of up to 4 suspect macros, and then saved the files and closed them-- no problems. Upon reopening the file, each time I get the error 'Out of memory', etc. So I agree that it is not a memory problem-- just not sure why the files load OK and save OK upon closing, only to give the error messages (Out of Memory, Not Enough Memory, Document not Saved) upon reopening. Any other ideas appreciated. 

As I do not have Windows Excel will try to regenerate a new Mac XL file by copying my data and regenerating the macros, some of which are fairly long. If anything else occurs to you in how to best regenerate the large file (9 sheets), again I would appreciate your ideas. 

Regards,
Roger

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

PS, it may be that the Excel keyboard shortcuts interfere with my macros, as when I generated this spreadsheet (a long, long time ago...) Excel did not have 'unalterable' shortcuts. Now when I go to check or add a custom keyboard shortcut, I am not able to change Excel's 'privileged' shortcuts. (Tools, Custom Keyboard)

Roger

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Be sure to include the version number and OS version when asking your question.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 2,831 Applies to: