Clipboard Contents Disappear: Excel 2016 Mac

In Excel 2011 for Mac the contents of the clipboard were never deleted only overwritten by the latest entry. In Excel 2016 for Mac, this has changed. The clipboard contents disappear as soon as I type anything into any cell.

The clipboard functions as expected in Word 2016 and previous versions of Excel, so why not in Excel 2016. Is this a bug or deliberate by Microsoft?

Thanks, Steve

P.S. Running MacOS Sierra 10.12.2

Question Info

Last updated October 24, 2018 Views 537 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Whether it's a "bug" or "by design" I have no idea, but you're correct that the behavior is different in Excel 2016. Apparently the issue is common to both the Mac & Windows versions.

It has been reported before but the previous behavior has not been restored... The last I heard was that it is "Under Review", but that was more than a year ago.

Use the ☺︎ at the right end of the Excel Ribbon to add your voice to the choir. Additionally, there is an existing thread on the Excel UserVoice site. Please don't hesitate to VOTE for it & add your own comments - particularly that the former behavior in the Mac version should be restored as well.

As an MVP my contributions here are purely voluntary.

Please mark Yes/No as to whether a Reply answers your question.

Regards,
Bob J.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Steve,

We have received your update via Private Message.

Please use the method as Jared mentioned above to copy and paste the content in Excel 2016. to do that:

1.Select the content in the cell(don't select the cell)>Right click the content to copy it(or Crtl + C)

2.Input text to another cell >Right click the blank in the cell to paste the content(or Ctrl + V ).

Thanks,
Felix

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.