Parentheses and Negative Numbers Office 2016 Mac

Dear MSFT Community and Office 2016 Team:

Why doesn't Office 2016 Excel put negative numbers in parentheses/brackets.  This is the STANDARD convention for U.S. accounting.

Does anyone have a solution or work around. Yes, my region is set to US. 

Thanks,

Rob

Answer
Answer

I fully agree that the format should be restored, but it does no good to complain here :-) If you want your opinion to be heard by those who count, do both of the following:

1. Use the ☺︎ at the right end of Excel's Ribbon to send feedback to the development team, &
  2. Go to Bring back parentheses in Accounting number format to add your remarks & VOTE on the issue.

Those are the 2 venues that Microsoft monitors... This is just a peer-to-peer support community. A 'Softie may peek in every now & then, but they don't hang out here sifting through every thread looking for something to do in their spare time.

It's interesting to note, however, that despite the deafening outcry from many in non-Microsoft blogs & fora, there have been only 12 votes & 3 user comments posted even though the original message appeared in early September. The problem started with Office 2011 when Yosemite was released 15 months ago. People seem to think that if they b***h loud enough at the coffee shop Microsoft somehow will hear them & instantly implement the change.

Just my personal comment [most definitely not directed at you], but one of the reasons software issues don't get addressed is that most users only spend their time grousing among themselves, condemning the developer, cussing at the software & formulating conspiracy theories. I can virtually guarantee you that if only half of "EVERY accountant in the world" took the time to register a complaint [civilly, of course :-)] with Microsoft the issue would be addressed :-) There's a lot of truth to the adage "The squeaky wheel gets the oil", & the one that squeaks the most gets oiled first.

AI: Artificial Intelligence or Automated Idiocy???

Few tools work well if you don’t learn to use them.

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." - Alexander Pope

Regards,
Bob J.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,455 Applies to: