New to Mac - Default Excel Number Format

I am very new to Mac. I have a Macbook Pro 2015 and just downloaded Office 365. I am running Excel 15.14. Am I running Mac 2016? I am not even sure about that. I have done a fair amount of internet research on my question and all the answers are older. I want Excel to start with a particular number format. I was able to do this on my PC, but I haven't yet discovered a way to change the default template on my Mac. There was a link to click on one of the answers here but the page had expired. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Yes, you are running Excel 2016. I am not sure I understand what you mean by: "I want Excel to start with a particular number format." How did you do it on your PC, and what was the result? You can build custom number formats and use them as you wish in Excel 2016.
Bob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The Year number of the application has nothing to do with the actual versions number In the History of Office Mac and possibly PC as well. 

There have been 15 major versions of Office. Depending number of Minor updates, If there is a radical change then a new major version is released and then give it a common name. 

Example The last Major version of Office Mac was announced in late 2010 so it was named Office 2011. Yet its version started with revision number 14.0.0 and now is up to 14.5.5 (there have been usually 55 minor revisions a lot of times changes are combined into a super revision and they may skip ahead say from .2.0 say to 3.2)

Revisions can be additions to code to, add or take away a feature, To fix a Bug or Bugs, Or a security update. (Remove a possible data breach) . 

Even after a new Major version comes out. The old version is supported for bug fixes and Security patches, for at least a Year after the new release to give people transition time.

In Case of 2016 Microsoft announced over zdNet, cNet and Computerworld news outlets That because 2016 was such a radical change (written in all apple code not the binary code they had been using for 30 years or more) that EOL for 2011 would be extended to Sept 2017. So while no new feature will be introduced. Bug fixes and security updates will continue until that time. 

_________

Disclaimer:

The questions, discussions, opinions, replies & answers I create, are solely mine and mine alone, and do not reflect upon my position as a Community Moderator.

If my reply has helped, mark accordingly - Helpful or Answer
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The answer to creating a default WorkBook with your own custom number formats in Excel 2016 on the Mac is here:

http://www.rondebruin.nl/mac/mac033.htm

Unfortunately every time you open a new sheet it will display the error message about file type mismatch that he describes. But if you don't mind clicking okay on that erroneous error dialog, it all works and the number formats are the ones your set.  Ron de Bruin says this Alert is a bug and he has reported it to Microsoft. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2024 Views 2,108 Applies to: