How do i report VBA bugs?

Split from this thread.

Hi Jim, is has been a while since our exchange. I am doing another attempt to port our Excel 2011 spreadsheet with many macros to Excel 2016. I get a bit further now, although I had to recreate all the marcro's.

When I reported a problem to Microsoft through my Office 365 business account I got the reply that they don't support Macro's. It was not about code, but about malfunctioning of the macro's in 2016. I found a work around but now I get an 'insufficient resources to display page' error after I run a macro that creates a document in Word. Do you know if there is any possibility to get Microsoft to take these developer issues serieus? Is there maybe another entrance into Microsoft for these issues?

Kind regards,

Auke

Answer
Answer

The VB Editor in 2011 and also now in 2016 allow you to export and import macros as .bas (text) files using the File menu. It's a handy way to move macros and userforms from one version to another or from one workbook to another.

In the builds 15.41 and earlier, the goal Microsoft had was to make VBA work the same as Excel 2011 for Mac. Currently, the goal is to make VBA work the same as Excel for Windows, as much as possible.

You may post code issues as questions here in the forum. Others can run the problem code on their Macs and see how it behaves and perhaps offer alternative syntax. If you have Excel 2016 for Windows and your code works OK there, then it could be a bug in Excel for Mac, or it could be a limitation in Excel for Mac.

Another forum that's good for Excel troubleshooting VBA is MrExcel.com, although for Mac specific issues, this forum may be better.

If, after testing with others, the code fails and it really shouldn't, you can report the issue directly to Microsoft using the Smile button in Excel.

I would offer the suggestion that you work using Insider Fast builds. These builds have the latest fixes. Turn-around time between reporting a bug and getting a fix is months faster than with Insider Slow or General release builds. Insider Fast builds are generally weekly. The Insider Slow and General Release builds are monthly. If you're using the most current General Release monthly build, it can be up to 8 generations behind the current Insider Fast build. Also, when reporting using an Insider Fast build, the report goes directly to the Excel team instead of through the general support folks. Same thing with the forums. Post to the Insider forum so your request doesn't get picked up by general support people who don't know what they're talking about.

Be sure to include the version number and OS version when asking your question.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 428 Applies to: