Checkbox clicks often don't register in Excel 2016

I have a workbook that has a few dozen checkboxes. Almost all of these checkboxes are linked to a True/False value in a different cell, though I don't think that necessarily matters. I've seen it happen with unlinked checkboxes. We're testing 2016 versions for an organization-wide rollout and this is a blocker. The end users are not tolerant of malfunctions. 

Sometimes checking the box is fine, but often it is frustratingly hard to get it to register the click. Although I have seen it in OS X Maverics (10.11.x), it seems markedly worse in Sierra (10.12.2). It sometimes takes 4 or more clicks for it to register. 

This happens on multiple machines with the latest version of Excel 2016 - 15.29.1. At first I thought it was because the workbook was created in 2011, but it happens even with a brand new workbook. 

Steps to reproduce: 
1) Create a brand new workbook

2) From the Developer Tab (once enabled) - add a checkbox. 
3) Link the checkbox to a cell under Format Control

4) Start clicking.. see what happens. 

The success rate of a click varies widely in my testing. If it doesn't fail right away, just keep doing stuff in the workbook and try again.

I have tried every setting under "format Control". I have also tried linking to a VBA procedure rather than using the format control link to a cell. It made no difference. 

Here's a video displaying the problem. The circle indicates a system-registered mouse click. (The Button (A2) works fine, I just put that in for comparison.) 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zovf3t6uqj96rc2/ClickFail.mov?dl=0 

If anyone has encountered this and has a way to fix it, let me know. I'm running a base-line system with no special fonts or anything. 

Thanks. 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I see the same problem. you can make it "worse" by adding more check boxes. I'll report it via the smiley face, you should also.
Bob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Bob, I may have already reported with the frowny face, but I did it again and linked to this discussion (which had way more info than I can put in there).

As far as making it worse with more checkboxes, my experience has varied so much, every time I think I make it better or worse, I prove myself wrong. So I wouldn't be surprised if you change your mind on that.  ;) 

Thanks again. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, I just tried it again after task switching away from Excel and then back. Results are indeed inconsistent. In my case, the sound of tthe click registering is a good half second after the actual click. We'll just have to wait and see if Microsoft addresses the issue.
Bob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Brett,

I firstly test from my side. Check boxes can recognize my clicking in a new Excel sheet. So, for reproducing this issue accurately, can you share with us your test file? I have sent you a private message to collect it. You may attach test files via replying to my private message.

Best regards,

Tim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Brett_x,

Thanks for your information.

I have tested the checkbox linked to a True/False value either in the Workbook sent by you or the one created on my side, but I can't reproduce the issue now. Since the latest version of Excel 2016 for Mac is 15.30.0 (17010700), please try updating Excel to this version to check if the issue can be fixed. To update it, open Excel -> Help -> check for updates.

@Bob,

To better understand your situation, please share the following information:

1.Your OS.

2.Your Office version.

3.Are your reproduce steps same as Brett's?

4.Regarding "You can make it "worse" by adding more check boxes", please check the result after adding one Checkbox in Excel 15.30.0 (17010700). (If you are not using this version, try updating it.)

Thanks,

Sky

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 and 2: I am using Excel 15.31 (170110) OS 10.12.2

3 Yes, I am seeing the same results as Brett, but in consistently. I tried his test file and see the same thing.

4 I have done exactly that and the results are sometimes better, sometimes the same.

Try this: In a brand new work book. Add a check box and link it to a cell. Click in the check box. the sound Excel generates from the click is at least a half second AFTER you click. This happens to em consistently. If I add a new check box without qa cell link, the FIRST click in the original check box is not recognized.

There is clearly something "fishy" going on here.

Bob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply, we need some time to investigate this behavior. Please also let us know if it happen to the previous version of your Excel 2016 for mac. (E.g. 15.28 or earlier.) We can learn that this behavior is observed on 15.29.1 and 15.31. To narrow down the issue, i would like to make sure that you don't see this on the previous version of 15.28.16111501. We need this to understand if it is an emerging issue.

@Brett_x, please share any update with us when you have time.
[Updated by Jim Liu MSFT,  23:35, Jan 16 , 2017 (UTC)]

Best Regards,
Jim

--------------------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For the record, I now have Version 15.30 (170107) and I did try booting into safe mode.. just to make sure. I did see the same behavior. But it was inconsistent as I've reported... I had trouble reproducing it for the first 15 to 20 clicks.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. It is critical to us. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Brett_x,

Thanks for the update. Before reporting the issue to the related team, we'd like to know what you use to click the checkbox. (E.g. Wireless mouse, Mouse or Trackpad)
Also, does it persist after switching to different input devices?

In the meantime, please make sure you've clicked the right location in order to tick the checkbox.

@Bob, please also share this information with us.

Best Regards,
Jim

--------------------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I use an Apple magic Mouse. But the behavior identical if I use the macBook Pro's trackpad.

I also find that the first click is ignored immediately after I add a new check box to the worksheet.

Bob

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 2,948 Applies to: