Paste and paste special not working as previously in Excel Office 365

Hi, 

I recently upgraded my MacBook Air to OS Catalina v10.15.4, and then found Office didn't work, so went ahead and bought the Office 365 Subscription. (I'm using Microsoft Excel for Mac v16.3)

I'm an advanced excel user of 30+ years. I'm experiencing 2 problems that are making excel unworkable: 

1. Copy Paste - if I copy a formula from one cell, and paste to another cell, the default paste is as text. No formula. The second time i do the same thing it pastes the formula. Also all formatting is lost 

2. Copy Paste Special - I tried to use copy paste special function to "paste formulas" to overcome this, however the normal options to paste special have been replaced with only 4 options - "HTML, Unicode Text, Text, Link". 

3. FYI The paintbrush function also doesn't work to easily copy paste formats. 

4. Finally, if i try and copy an entire sheet into a new sheet, irrespective of the content i get the alert "The data you're pasting isn't the same size as your selection. Do you want to paste anyway? " 

There are other similar quirks, but i'm guessing there is some root cause here which is messing up the entire copy paste function. 

This is driving me nuts and making the use of excel totally inefficient as copy / paste is used so often. 

I have searched all the forums and can't find an answer. This post from 2017 is close, but i still couldn't find a solution: 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_win10/paste-special-options-tranpose-formulas-formatting/fac69707-df04-45ad-bdf7-dec9959016f8?page=1

I have already: 

- upgraded to latest Mac OS

- uninstalled and reinstalled Office 365

- Deleted Skype (some posts suggested this was the problem)

Nothing has worked so far. Looking forward to some help ... 

Thanks

Dave

Hello David
I am V. Arya, Independent Advisor, to work with you on this issue.

Can you recheck your version again and let us know the version as you are writing that your version is 16.3 (did you means 16.30) ? Current version is 16.37.
Excel menu - About Excel

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi V. Arya,

Yes it is v16.37. sorry about that.

Thanks D  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There are 2 Paste Special dialogs: The one in your screen shot & the one you are expecting to see. Which one is presented is determined by how Excel recognizes the content on the macOS Clipboard.

Normally only valid worksheet content calls up the one you're looking for. Otherwise, (such as with content copied from a word processing program or other source) you get the one you are seeing. Apparently what you are copying is not being recognized as workbook content.

Do you happen to have a clipboard management utility installed such as CopyPaste Pro, Copy'em Paste, Clippy, CopyClip 2, etc.? Many of them cause such interference, especially if they are not fully updated.

AI: Artificial Intelligence or Automated Idiocy???

Few tools work well if you don’t learn to use them.

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." - Alexander Pope

Regards,
Bob J.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bob,

No i don't have any clipboard management software installed.

But i agree that it does seem to be a problem somehow associated with clipboard. I considered installing some clipboard management software to see if it actually fixed the problem, but haven't done that yet until i see if this thread helps. 

I have a similar problem with Word ... which used to show "paste as bitmap, paste as PDF" and a few others i can't remember. And now i notice it has this: 

Quick update... 10 mins later: 

I just downloaded CopyClip to see if this fixed the problem, and it did not. I still have exactly the same issues. 

Bummer... 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this same problem. It started approximately 1 week ago (June 15-ish). I do have some minor differences/additions:

1) I have updated Excel to 16.38 and the problem persists

2) I have not installed a clipboard manager

3) Dragging to fill adjacent cells does correctly copy the formulas

4) Copying a cell with a formula to multiple cells (e.g., copy A1 to A2:A5) generates the alert "The data you're pasting isn't the same size as your selection. Do you want to paste anyway?" Confirming the paste should occur (clicking "OK") only pastes to the first cell of the selection and the result is the text of the resolved formula.

This is a very significant issue for large spreadsheets where formulas are abundant. Hopefully there will be a resolution soon. 

I am using a MacBook Pro with MacOS 10.15.4 (Catalina). Also installed are Netskope Client, Forcepoint One Endpoint DLP. Not that these additional tools are a corporate mandate and were installed prior to this occurrence of this issue. I mention them, however, because there could have been an update applied to either of them that I would not know about or have control over.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Ed Price

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I had a similar problem in that the paste (ctrl v) would paste the value from the cell I had copied; but when looking at the cell it showed the correct formula. 

After some searching I found that somehow the 'Workbook calculation' in the 'Excel Options' had been changed to 'Manual'.

To fix the problem I went to 'File" in Excel, selected "options".

The selected 'Formulas'.

Then changed Workbook calculation to 'Automatic'.

Using Excel 2010 and Windows 10. Have no idea how it got change to manual calculation in the first place!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yours is an Excel for Windows issue, this is the Community for Mac Excel even though the information is comparable.

Regards,
Bob J.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

jim s1234 thanks for the idea of where to look for a resolution. unfortunately, following the similar steps for a Mac did not solve the problem. Actually, Workbook Calculation was already Automatic. Changing to Manual and then back didn't fix it either.

Very frustrating and irritating. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yours is a different known issue probably related to the Forcepoint software:

Excel Copy/Paste not functioning on Mac

Regards,
Bob J.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 6,746 Applies to: