Grant File Access for Excel

I'm having a problem with trying to save spreadsheets to a folder on my mac desktop. Whenever I try to save a spreadsheet, a message will pop up saying:

"Grant File Access" then I have to select the file. When I try to select the appropriate file, another message pops up saying: Your changes could not be saved to [File Name] because of a sharing violation. Try saving to a different file. It will then prompt me through a few more messages, the last one saying "Your changes could not be saved to [File Name] but were saved to a temporary document named 'X." Where is this temporary document stored? When I search my computer for that file name, no results show.

I have no idea what it means by a "sharing violation," because this is a file I have had on my computer for years and have been saving to spreadsheets to no problem, until I uploaded the office 365.

Answer
Answer

Hi MonicaMelton,

I have test it on my side but cant have the message as yours on Catalina Excel 16.31, does rdazarolas suggestions work for you?

Here is a reference for you to have a try: Fix: Office 2016 Grant Access Error on MacOS. A lot of users meet the Grant File Access error problem caused by the updated Apple sandboxing rules. You can try:

a. Disabling fonts from 3rd party fonts management apps

- Suitcase Fusion > File > Clean Font Cache

b. Booting from recovery partition to reset folder permissions

- booting from recovery mode and using the Terminal utility to reset the folder permissions and ACLs.

c. Avoiding Apples sandbox requirements

- Move the documents to ~library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office folder.

d. Pulling Microsoft from the resource folder (Temporary)

- Dfonts > Move to Trash.

e. Clearing the Mac OS Font Caches via Terminal

- sudo atsutil databases -remove.

Meanwhile, could you provide some information to better solve your issue:

1. The screenshots of the pages showing the version of the Mac operating system(click on the Apple menu> About this Mac) and the version of your Excel you are using for our reference (go to Excel> About Excel).

2. Does the issue happens on all worksheets or a specific one? For example, a macro enabled workbook? Or a new workbook?

3. Could you send the sceenshot of the error message?

4. Where do you want to save the file? Does the issue happen to any locations or a specific network drive?

Regards,

Amiu

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2024 Views 1,392 Applies to: