Excel iPad: virtual trackpad not working as expected In text box

When you create a text box in Excel for iOS and type in text, you would expect that the virtual trackpad (from iOS 9) would work correctly to quickly move around the text box and select text. 

But it it does not work as expected:

- suppose the cursor is blinking at the last word in the box, if you tap the keyboard with two fingers to call it up the trackpad, the cursor jumps to a random other place in the text box, instead of staying where it is as expected

- when you move the cursor around with the trackpad, the cursor should move around and cling to the characters, while there is a second cursor (like a mouse pointer) exactly follows the movement of the trackpad (see picture how this looks in Word for iOS). In Excel, only the first cursor clinging to the characters is shown, which moves around in a jerky fashion. Adding the second cursor helps with precision. 

You have already fixed this in Word. Could you please fix this in Excel (and PowerPoint) as well? 

Hi,

I would like to know if there was any updates installed.

Let us try to uninstall thee Office apps and reinstall it and check.

Hope this information helps you. Please let us know if you need additional information.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear Harsha,

Thank you very much for your reply. I deleted all 3 Office apps and reinstalled them (all version 1.24). 

The text box problem is still present for both Excel and PowerPoint. Moreover, I had not yet reported that the virtual trackpad only allows a user to move along one line. In a multi-line text box I would expect that the trackpad allows users to move up and down lines. 

I am waiting for next instructions. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The enclosed GIF shows how the virtual keypad works in Word. There is a cursor that clings to each character and a second cursor, which follows the exact movement on the keyboard smoothly. This make it easy to reach the target. Without the second cursor, the movement is much less precise. I will upload an animinated GIF showing how it works in Excel in th next message. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is how the virtual trackpad works in Excel. The movement is very jerky and each time the user activates the trackpad, the cursor jumps up a few lines. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This GIF shows how the movement is very jerky. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Harsha,

I have not heard anything back. Could you please let me know if you can reproduce the bug? It is not very helpful to ask from me to delete my apps and download them again. This is not Windows. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 6, 2020 Views 46 Applies to: