UPLOAD FAILED. This file is locked for editing by another in Word 2013

I collaborate with SkyDrive with other users frequently and they will often see this prompt or I will. This article has some good information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899709/en-us. the workaround is pretty weak--just wait it out. Does anyone have a better idea? Also, if you map a a shared SkyDrive folder as a network drive in Windows as suggested here http://blogs.clariusconsulting.net/kzu/how-to-map-a-shared-skydrive-folder-as-a-network-drive-in-windows/, would doing that help bypass sporadic connectivity issues that seem to cause SkyDrive to fail in its uploads to the server? Thanks in advance.

"Consider the following scenario. In Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services, you connect to a document library. Then, you click
Edit in ProgramName to open and modify a document in the document library. The document opens in the program as expected. However, an issue occurs and the program unexpectedly quits or crashes. After the program quits, you connect to the document library again. Then, you click Edit in ProgramName to open and modify the same document.

In this scenario, the document does not open as expected. Instead, you receive the following message in a File in Use dialog box:
FileName is locked for editing by 'another user'.

Do you want to: 

Open a Read Only copy
Create a local copy and merge your changes later
Receive notification when the original copy is available
You receive this message even though you are the user who previously opened the document.

When a document is opened by a client program, Windows SharePoint Services puts a write lock on the document on the server. The write lock times out after 10 minutes. Users cannot modify the document during the time when the document is locked.

In a scenario where the program that opens the document unexpectedly quits or crashes and you try to open the document again before the write lock times out, the message that you receive says that the document is locked by another user. This behavior occurs even though you are user who previously opened the document.

To work around this behavior, wait 10 minutes before you click Edit in ProgramName to open the document again."
|
Not much using skydrive, for sharepoint though you could check on the technet. 
Trying to be helpful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am an avid user of Microsoft and have been using oneDrive almost since its launch date. However recently I  am having constant issues with it.  I get the above notice constantly. I have it right now.  There is no alternative to Microsoft Excel. And I love it but I am now wondering if there is an alternative and wish there was.  My problems started with Windows 10 and my mistake to click for a free trial.  Please provide a good service and leave it at that.  I read terrible notices about Windows 10 and the philosophy behind it. it hogs my machine.  getting rid of it is beyond my competance but i might just reload everything and never go near the w10 stuff.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had a similar issue using an Word mailmerge (Access DB) document stored on a network drive.  when the network connection is slow or reset I get an error message while editing the recipient list which says in effect "wait for the previous action to finish before trying to edit recipients".  If I close the file without saving and try to re-open the original Word document I get the same error above: FileName is locked for editing by another user (which was me).  I tried the 10min timeout but it didn't work.  Instead I checked the folder location of the Word document and related access DB file and discovered an associated FileName.laccdb 1kb lockfile.  After deleting this lockfile I was able to open the original Word document for editing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 21, 2021 Views 8,873 Applies to: