Why can't I see the whole document?

I tried opening the intro and lit review of my thesis that I've recently saved to Skydrive and it only shows the title page and a blank page, yet it recognises there are 28,000 words in the document. What is going on? I then tried opening an earlier version of the document and had the same problem. Does it mean these files are corrupted? I've had no problem with smaller documents in other folders.... Be grateful for any assistance.

Cheers,

Chris 

Hi Chris,

• What happens when you try to access this file from the Word application installed in the computer?
  • Do you receive any error message?

Try to open a Word document that is saved in your SkyDrive and let us know if you were able to edit / view it through the MS Word program.

Reply with the results to assist you better.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your suggestion Guruprasad Ra, but whether I open it through Explorer or Word, I still only see the title page even though it's acknowledging it's a large document. There are no error messages. Other (smaller) documents are opening fine either way. Hmmmm....

Chris

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is it possible that you have been editing using different versions of Word?  Other people have had similar problems when switching between versions.

The probably cause is an XML "tag" error.

The person you need to join this discussion is a volunteer named "Jeeped". He is the "local expert" on XML errors.

If you are familiar with XML/HTML then you could try taking a look yourself at the native XML to see if you can recognize where the XML tags are not matching properly.  Make a copy of the file and rename it by adding a ".zip" file extension.

Quick learning about “X” file structures - XML – Editing XML

Pt1: Breaking Into Your Office Open XML Format Documents (2007)

http://msevents.microsoft.com/CUI/WebCastEventDetails.aspx?culture=en-US&EventID=1032319980&CountryCode=US

But what is different about these new formats, and what can the Open XML Formats do for advanced Microsoft Office users? Join this session for a guided tour through the XML behind your documents, along with an introduction to editing the XML directly so you can get more from your documents than ever before. Learn about the files that make up a Microsoft Office Word 2007, Excel 2007, or PowerPoint 2007 document and get timesaving tips and troubleshooting tricks for editing, sharing, and reusing content without even opening Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.

Note: This is the first in a series of three sessions for advanced users who want to learn to customize 2007 Office release documents. The second session in this series introduces Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). The third session brings concepts covered in the first two webcasts together. We show you the basics of customizing the Ribbon, including how to add your own VBA macros to built-in or custom Ribbon tabs.

This last DOCX Unspecified error had to do with the <m:num> XML tag and I’ve had a few of those lately. Often, the <m:num></m:num> pair contains absolutely no content and can be removed without any damage to the DOCX at all. In this case, it was wrapping the letters BH which were the numerator in a formula. The malformed section looked like this,

<m:num>

<m:r>

<w:rpr>

<w:rFonts w:ascii  …. “Cambria math”/>

</w:rpr>

<m:t>

BH

</m:t>

</m:r>

<m:ctrlPr>

<w:rFontgs w:ascii*”Cambria math” … “cambria math”/>

<w:1/>

<m:ctrlPr>

</m:num>

Now that XML code sequence passes syntax muster by Word still chokes on it. This can be proven by extracting the word\document.xml and opening it in Excel (or some other XML editor).

I first tried to delete the lower <m:ctrlPr></m:ctrlPr> section as it seemed empty of any actual contribution to the content of the DOCX but that still did not allow Word to open the document. Failing that, I noted other surrounding text so I could locate the problem area within the document at a later time (e.g. within Word) and snipped out the entire the <m:num></m:num> block. This allowed Word to open the DOCX.

I searched for the surrounding content I had noted previously and recorded the page number. I zoomed to 10% and took a screenshot of the first four pages and wrote my reply.

Here is another cause for this error:

<snip>

here’s what caused my problem: Where you found the error, I had a checkbox (legacy form field) inside of a plain text content control field.  It didn’t cause any problems when left alone, but when I altered only that field (i.e., checked the box), saved the doc, and reopened it, presto, there was the error.  I guess Word doesn’t like form fields inside of form fields...which is maybe an obvious thing...  I’d done it based on a suggestion I found online, because putting the checkbox inside the plain text content control field allowed the user to actually tab to the checkbox -- Word won’t tab to it otherwise (apparently due to the mix of legacy fields and 2007 fields).  Oh well, I guess I can live without that :-)  I took the checkbox out of the plain text field and now the form works fine.

</snip>

XML Notepad 2007

https://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=7973

Free MS XML editor

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Rhon! This document has been at least three different types of word document, so this could absolutely be the issue. Many thanks for the tip - will check out Jeeped's discussions and also the info you've sent.

Cheers,

Chris

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 4, 2022 Views 687 Applies to: