Create a shortcut to a Word file in a OneDrive shared folder: Revisited

I posted this question originally on 4.17.18 and received an answer, which at that time, did not work. I just revisited the post, followed the steps for a resolution, and it worked. I would have posted there, but that post has been closed. Here is my original question and here are the steps that worked for me:

Question: I often work on documents for friends in a folder they have shared with me on their OneDrive account. Rather than going each time to my https://onedrive.live.com/ account, browsing to their shared folder and desired file, and then open the file in Word 2016, I want a direct shortcut to that shared file. In this case, their shared folders and files are not added to my local OneDrive folder--don't want that--I just want a shortcut to open a file occasionally. I know I can pin the folder by right-clicking the Word icon in the taskbar for the open file and pin it, but I don't want to do that either since I only use these files occasionally. 

Answer: Go to https://onedrive.live.com/ and log in under your account. Browse to the desired file online in OneDrive shared folder, check it to select it, mouse over the Share icon, ShareIn the Send Link dialog, verify that Anyone with the link can edit is checked, Copy Link, Close.

WIN+M to display the Windows Desktop. Right-click the Windows DesktopNewShortcut; In the Typethe location of the itemBrowse; browse to the executable winword.exe file on your PC--in my PC, this is the path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE”, OK; note that exact path is entered in the Type the location of the item box surrounded in quotes:

Click after the closing quote for that path, SPACE 1 time, type quotes, CTRL+V to paste the path you copied previously via onedrive.live.com to the desired shared file, type quotes at the end of that pasted path.

Here's an example of my complete shortcut path (I substituted "x" randomly in the target file name path example for privacy:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE" “https://1drv.ms/w/s!xxxxxxxx?e=xxxB44”

Next. Type a descriptive name for this shortcut, Finish. A Word icon will display and open the shared target file in Word.

Looks reasonable.

When I try it with a personal OneDrive, Word starts, then prompts for a OneDrive login. Which it then promptly rejects ... apparently there is a minor problem with my attempt to implement your idea.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I had the same issue and we're opening up a whole different can of worms and probably a new thread. That said, here's how I resolved it. I entered my OneDrive credentials (my Microsoft email and password), checked Remember my credentials. I recreated the shortcut start to finish and all was well.

This must be some glitch with Windows security. I watched the video noted below and refreshed my memory on how credentials are handled via the credential manager accessed on your PC as follows: WIN key, type credentials, Credential ManagerControl Panel; Windows Credentials button; under Windows Credentials, 1drv.ms, you should see Modified: Today. I dealt with this complex network issue a couple of years ago and I remember that I changed all the credentials on all my PCs to match so they all used my Microsoft email as my username and the associated password for that email account. That saved me Windows Security credential headaches for sure. Maybe start there and then try creating the shortcut again start to finish.

See this video for an overview of the pesky and complicated credential manager: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjRx1U8l7sU

Stop Repeated Prompts for User Credentials

Arlene

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for that link.  However my problem is slightly different than the one he described.  In his problem, they were able to sign in, then the prompt would appear some time later. I can't get logged in at all, through the dialog.  However, at exactly the same time I am logged in to Office, as shown by Word.

Bottom line for me is that this is not enough of a problem for me to want to mess with the credentials that are working just fine for everything else.  I was trying your technique to add it to my bag of tricks.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Gotcha. Windows didn't appear to accept my credentials either, but when I recreated the shortcut after entering them and asking Windows to remember, all was well in spite of what appeared to be rejected credentials. I totally get why you're going to leave well enough alone. Have a great day.
Arlene

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 270 Applies to: