Work account vs Microsoft account: how to use them properly? OneNote

Work/Office 365 Account vs Microsoft Account: why are they so complicated??

I just started a new job in a company fully willing to go towards Azure. As any other colleague, I got an Office 365 work account, that I am using internally (Exchange/One Drive for business/Skype for Business/Sharepoint/Office 365 ProPlus with 2016 apps). We are working on Windows 10 Entreprise. 

I also got a Lumia 950, thus with Windows 10 Mobile.

I quickly figured out I cannot use the store on my Lumia with my work account, so I had to create a Microsoft account to update it. To keep it simple (maybe a mistake), I used the same email address to register. I just set up another password.

Thus, I have 2 accounts with the same login, but different pwd, one is a Work/school/Office 365 account and the other as "personal" Microsoft account. 

I have both setup on my Lumia. One is with OneDrive for business, and I suppose the other one is with the "normal" OneDrive. I see both on my OneDrive app.

For some app (e.g. OneDrive, Calendar), you can choose explicetly on which account you go.

However, the personal account is always selected first.

A) How can I change the priority of the accounts set up on my Lumia, to have Work first and Personal 2nd ?

For other (especially on Office app, e.g. Word or OneNote), I found it very confusing: I don't know with which account the data get sync.

Creating a new Word doc got quickly sync on my work account, so I got the file on my laptop.

Using OneNotes was much more complicated, I first did not know where the notes get created, as both sides (desktop and laptop) did not get. I figured out, they were using different account and sections. I spend 1 hour to understand the tricks:

It's also very confusing to have 2 app on my laptop: "OneNote" and "OneNote 2016". I find the "OneDrive" much easier to use and "OneDrive 2016" confusing when used to the previous one: the "One Note" app (both desktop and mobile) as well as the "One Note Online" pretty much presents section and then pages, thus more likely to create many pages on the same section.

On the other hand, OneNote 2016 show the pages on the right side and emphases the sections on the top, thus more likely to create different section. I think I got it know, but it's not intuitive at all at the first place: why such a different layout??

So, on the laptop, it seems OneNote2016 connects to my work account, whereas OneNote to my personal account.

On the Lumia, I see both in different colors in the same app, better now.

B) Is there a better way to use different accounts?

Until that point, I was just speaking about the situation at work with the devices provided from my organization.

Private at home, I have Windows 10 pro on my PC, and also using a Lumia 730 as main cell phone. I did NOT want to mix private/work that's why I created a new MS personal account to update my Lumia 950 at work.

But maybe I should have use my private account (used on my L730) to set up my L950 and get rid of the L730 ?? I just don't want to put any private data on my Office365/work account, i.e. having personal data on "OneDrive For Business".

Seems stuff are clearly separated though.

What do you think?

How are the different accounts meant to be used?

|
Hi EricSG,

Thanks for your sharing.

Generally, to move and sync OneNote notebook, we suggest you follow the steps in the following article:
OneNote syncing best practices

Also, you can add both OneDrive personal and OneDrive for Business as the sync location in Office applications. For detailed steps, please refer to the following article:
Use Save As on the File menu

If there is any unclear, feel free to post back.

Regards,
Linda

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply!

I came to understand how OneNotes is working while I was writing my first post, but it's far from being intuitive.

AMHO, the Development Teams of OneNote UWP vs OneNotes 2016 should work closer and offer a more ubiquitous experience!!

Later after that post, I understood that the Microsoft account on my Lumia 950 is mostly used for personal purpose and update of the phone.

The backup of the lumia are save on the OneDrive space related to my personal account.

Again, the professional experience with double account work/personnal is confusing and at the begining it's difficult to understand which is used for what (and I am already using Lumia privately for years!!)

I eventually added my real personal account on my Lumia 950, and not using the 730 anymore.

But the next issue is that I created already a personal account on the 950 and it cannot be changed without a hard reset. Hard reset is not an option since the phone has been initially configured by my organisation.

I managed to install the apps I want, sync my different address books and calendars.

And again, the main annoying point is OneNote: I cannot add a second Microsoft account on OneNote UWP.

So another big request for OneNote UWP Dev team: allow a 2nd MS account (currently only ONE MS accond and ONE work account are allowed) 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi EricSG,

Thanks for taking time to share your user experience.

Regarding your request, I’d like to invite you to share it in our UserVoice. Providing your feedback is the best way to perfect our products and services. We appreciate your understanding and any ideas you may share.

Also, here is a link for your reference.
What's the difference between OneNote and OneNote 2016.

Regards,
Linda

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 29, 2021 Views 19,201 Applies to: