NO unlimited OneDrive storage for Office subscribers

Just a warning if you think you will get unlimited OneDrive storage when you subscribe to Office 365. Perhaps you read OneDrive or Office's official announcement a year ago, or one of the thousands of news articles and blogs that repeated the announcement that OneDrive was unlimited.

It's not.

If you login to your OneDrive and look at your available storage like me you'll see 1tb. No problem you think, you checked here on answers.Microsoft.com or queried tech support and they told you your storage would expand when you got close to or at 1tb.

It doesn't.

Despite the fact that the announcements are still up and I have yet to find a retraction anywhere, in private when you hit the 1tb mark you will be told the offer doesn't exist.

Office 365 comes with 1tb of storage.

You won't see that on the Office blog, nor the OneDrive blog both of which announced unlimited storage almost exactly one year ago. And it isn't a graceful end. When you hit the 1tb cap as I did, you can no longer sync, nor can you even save a tiny Word doc to the cloud you were typing on.

Microsoft didn't run out of space

It's not like there isn't the storage out there, like if you bought an airline ticket and they oversold the flight. They will gladly sell you more storage at additional cost

If it wasn't so dishonest it would be funny

I don't know what the first language of the chat support is, but several times Microsoft Answer Techs have also tried to redefine unlimited. Not the way you might be thinking, like there is a big limit to keep things reasonable, like maybe Netflix wouldn't let you stream five TVs 24/7. If the limit got bumped to 5tb or so I wouldn't whine so much.

My favorite quote was "The storage is unlimited but if you exceed it costs extra." To infinity and beyond. It reminds me of the Seinfeld car rental skit.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Another person made the same point in the last week or so.

MS is going to have to publish a retraction or someone is going to wake up and start a class action suit ...

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

You had to sign-up for the limited-time offer of unlimited storage. I did it and I now have 10TB of space in my onedrive (no extra cost)... which I assume will continue to increase after I fill the 10 TB. I suspect the problem here is that you didn't realize that it was a limited-time offer and that you had to sign-up for the unlimited service. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is definitely a mixed message.  A quick google found several variations on the announcement of unlimited storage ....

Although the current Buy 365 pages do say 1TB, this original announcements do not mention any limits to the unlimited offer:

https://blogs.office.com/2014/10/27/onedrive-now-unlimited-storage-office-365-subscribers/

This next article mentions getting early access to the unlimited, but that everyone would get it eventually ...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2838450/microsoft-beefs-up-office-365-with-unlimited-onedrive-cloud-storage.html

<snip>

Microsoft is making Office 365 a considerably sweeter deal with unlimited OneDrive storage for all users, as the commoditization of pure cloud storage continues.

The free upgrade will roll out to all subscribers “over the coming months,” Microsoft says. Existing subscribers can jump ahead in line by signing up through Microsoft's website (though doing so requires opting into promotional e-mails). This is the second storage boost that Microsoft has given to Office 365 subscribers this year, having upgraded users to 1 TB of storage in June.

</snip>

Note: the link to "signing up " for early access still works. I don't know if offer still works (Don't have 365 to test it on).

This article, Feb 2015 (4 months later) does not mention unlimited and bumps OneDrive limits to 100GB (less than eventual 1TB and much less than "unlimited"

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2886737/microsoft-hands-out-100gb-of-free-onedrive-storage.html

<snip>

The latest promotion, however, applies to OneDrive, Microsoft's consumer-grade service. Only U.S. residents are eligible.

OneDrive comes with 15GB of free storage -- as opposed to Dropbox's free 2GB -- but the new offer provides 100GB extra storage for one year, at which time users' accounts will revert to their original allotments. Users will then have to pay to add more files to the cloud service; existing files stored there will not be deleted.

</snip>

This article:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/the-limits-of-unlimited-onedrive-storage/

specifically identifies some limits on the "unlimited" designation

<snip>

a reader had emailed me to ask whether or not Microsoft was also addressing other issues — like the maximum size allowed for a single file or the limit on the total number of files. As it turns out, Microsoft did eventually address the file size limitation — raising the 2 GB maximum up to 10 GB. However, Microsoft has not yet done anything about the fact that it maxes out at 20,000 files.

I contacted Microsoft support and confirmed that this is, in fact, still a limitation for OneDrive. It's a limitation that Microsoft is aware of, and one that Microsoft is working to address in the near future.

</snip>

Maybe it is time for an official press release from MS clarifying the question.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've heard from a handful of folks who actually got said offer after some unspecified magic handshake. But Rhon points out, the terms of unlimited OneDrive storage were unambiguously offered to ALL Office subscribers:

Today’s post was written by Julia White, general manager of Office 365 Technical Product Management.

Today, storage limits just became a thing of the past with Office 365.  OneDrive and OneDrive for Business will now offer unlimited storage—at no additional cost—to our Office 365 consumer and business customers.

OneDrive makes sure you always have all your important content on all your devices and enables multiple people to collaborate and co-author a single document at the same time. Gone are the days of not having that document right when you need it or managing multiple versions of the same document. With OneDrive there is always just one source of truth available across all your devices. What’s more, with Office Delve, that important document your co-worker shared with you on their OneDrive actually finds you, versus you having to find it.

This is just one of many reasons why the value of cloud storage really comes to life when it’s integrated with the tools you use to communicate, create and collaborate. That’s why OneDrive and OneDrive for Business are included as part of Office 365—built right in for all of our customers to use.

With unlimited OneDrive storage coming to Office 365 subscribers across consumer, commercial and education plans you can get more done on the devices you love—the possibilities are, well, unlimited. You can read more about today’s news and what’s next for OneDrive over on the OneDrive blog.

—Julia White

There's no mention of a limit, the offer is still up on various official Microsoft sites, and I have never found a retraction or notification in public as to what happened to the offer. And if you Bing "unlimited onedrive storage" there are a million hits. Admittedly I only skimmed the first dozen or so, but all appear to be parroting the original announcement of Microsoft's official rollout of Unlimited OneDrive service and how great things are going to be. Presumably people are still signing up for the service based on what is still up in black & white only to spend the time it takes to fill 1tb before they figure out they've been duped.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I still cannot believe this but it seems Microsoft has now officially broken its unlimited OneDrive storage promise:

https://blog.onedrive.com/onedrive_changes/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 328 Applies to: