Microsoft Office Account - Sign Out and In - Questions

I have an issue with Microsoft Office.  I did reinstall it.  One post suggested I close my account.  I am not sure what to expect and what will change if I close and reopen a new account.  Perhaps someone can address my questions.

1. Does my original Microsoft account email address and password stay the same with the new account?
  2. Will the new account ask for an activation or product key?
  3. If I close and reopen my account, will there be one or two accounts for Office on my computer?
  1. If I goof up, will System Restore get me back to where I was before I make these changes?

Thanks,

Jerry

NO! System Restore will not reset your MS Account if you change it!

Exactly which 'account' are you talking about:

• MS account used by Office
  • Windows user Account
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication”
Leonardo Da Vinci
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler”.
Albert Einstein

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello -

I am referring to MS account used by Office.

Jerry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your Office purchase/install is associated with an MS Account, you cannot change that account

http://office.com/myaccount

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please see screenshot.  It seems to say I can sign out and switch accounts.  Also see:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-happens-when-you-sign-out-of-Office-2b6164dd-76dd-462c-a10a-d6cd6a9b5b28?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1

Jerry

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, you can sign of of Office and then sign in with a different account, but that is not changing the email associated with your current account.

So do you want to be able to access Office using 2 differently paid for licenses via different email accounts.

OR

Do you want to continue using the current license but access it via a different email account.

Here are a couple of things you can try to make the second option work.  I know the alias works, I don't know the process that claims to use an alias and then cancel the original account.

Change the email for your Account - Alias
How to change the email address associated with your Microsoft account

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-account/microsoft-account/change-email-sign-in-for-microsoft-account

You may want to change the email address (also known as account alias) you use to sign in to your Microsoft account for one of the following reasons:

• You changed email service providers.
  • You changed your name or how you want to be addressed.
  • You want to use an email address that you'll remember more easily.
  • You prefer to use your phone number to sign in (available for use on Xbox One, Xbox.com, or account.microsoft.com).

Follow the steps on this page to change the Microsoft account email address or the phone number you use to sign in.

Change the email for your Microsoft account – Alias

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/33fc1b83-ec59-477e-8fe5-05e109da9d3c/change-the-email-for-your-microsoft-account

When your old email address doesn’t suit you anymore, but you want to save your contacts, online storage, subscriptions, and settings, then add an alias to your existing Microsoft account. An alias is another email address that works with the same account.

More About Aliases- Manage aliases on your Microsoft account - email - userid – transfer –change email

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12407/microsoft-account-manage-aliases

You can change the way you sign in and show up by adding aliases to your Microsoft account. An alias is an additional account name that can be an email address, phone number, or Skype name. It uses the same inbox, contact list, and account settings as the primary alias. You can sign in to your account with any alias—they all use the same password.

Some reasons to use aliases on your account include:

• You’re ready for a new email address, but don’t want to lose all your settings and data.  
  • You want the flexibility of having several aliases that share the same subscriptions and inbox.
  • Note
  • You cannot add an alias that is already associated with another Microsoft account. Aliases cannot be used to share information between two existing Microsoft accounts.

-     Add an alias to your account

-     Change which alias is primary

-     Remove an alias from your account

-     Manage which aliases can be used for sign-in

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/add-alias-account

Go to links above for detailed instructions

You can change the way you sign in and show up by adding aliases to your Microsoft account. An alias is an additional account name that can be an email address, phone number, or Skype name. It uses the same inbox, contact list, and account settings as the primary alias. You can sign in to your account with any alias—they all use the same password.

If the customer remembers the incorrect email ID and password they used to redeem Office then you can help them change it with the following steps:

1. https://login.live.com/ 
  2. 2.    If they get auto-signed in, have them sign out manually.
  3. 3.    Have the customer sign in using the incorrect email id/old  they have used.
  4. 4.    Normally a customer on sign-in would be redirected to the mail box. However, since the account is unverified, they will be taken to Account Summary page.
  5. 5.    Click on Rename account and you will see the below page. Select the option “Use a different address” to correct the misspelled email ID.
  6. 6.    You’re done. If the correct email id does not already exist as a Microsoft Account, then the rename is successful.

Note:            If they already receive an error message that the account already exists, it is possible that they already have an account under their email address. Have the customer logout and use the “Can’t access your account?” link on the sign in screen to reset their password.

• <snip>
  • An alias is an additional email address for your Microsoft account. It uses the same inbox, contact list, and account settings as the primary alias. You can sign in to your account with any alias—they all use the same password. You can send email from an alias whether you’re using a mail app like Outlook or a device such as a phone.
  • An alias is also the best way to change your email, but keep all your mail. Add an alias, then make the new alias primary. Then you can keep or remove the original alias. If you have a @hotmail.com, @live.com, or @MSN.com email address and would like to add a new email address, the best way is to add an alias.
  • </snip>

• <snip>

I am not sure if this will work but it is worth a try: Go to My Account - Office.com try entering the email address and password for your Microsoft Account. It will almost certainly not work. Try the instructions below.

Click on Contact us  Then on Accounts & billing  Then on Windows, Office and other Microsoft Aps and subscriptions>then on Chat online with a Microsoft answer tech (Do not use the telephone option as the tech may need to access your computer)

</snip>

I had a typo in my email address used to activate office 2013, now I am stuck!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-office_install/i-had-a-typo-in-my-email-address-used-to-activate/68465f5c-01d2-43b6-943f-583a98b1ef07

<snip> When activating Office 2013 home and business I had a typo in my email address domain name.  Now I am stuck because the verification email isn’t going to an actual email box, so I can’t verify.  If I try to start over the product key is rejected as it is already in use!

HELP!!

Update, after waiting 90min on hold MS the fix is to install the product (I happened to have the download) and then click “I want to activate with product key”, then put a bogus code in so it will switch to give you a ‘I want to activate by telephone”.  Call the number on the screen and explain everything, then they will activate your OFFICE 2013!  The last step is to start a new live account and switch accounts.  What a pain MS! </snip>

If you want to change the registration (and not the login information) from Personal account to Organizational account then you may refer the link mentioned and check:

http://commerce.microsoft.com/help

Note: In the above mentioned link browse to the following:

• Click on Getting Help< Contact Customer Support.
  • Under Product select Office 365 Home Premium or Office 365 University.
  • Under Problem Type select Security, Privacy and Accounts.
  • Under Category select Managing My account.
  • Under Contact Method either select START Chat or Request a call.

Answer

“Now why would anyone ever want to do something like that”  <heavy sarcasm>

Sorry, but apparently MS did not think that anyone would ever want to do that when it designed the Office 365 activation system.  There is no easy fix for your question

• Move Office 365 University to a New Email Account - barely possible

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_365hp-office_account/moving-office-365-university-subscritpion-to/053401f9-2f7b-4684-90d2-2e876873fd96

<snip>

Well after nearly 2 hours of hold time, someone finally picked up.  I explained my situation and he said he’s been getting a flood of phone calls in the past week regarding the issue.  He explained that many people have registered for Office 365 with incorrect or misspelled email addresses/accounts and they currently have no power to change this.  He only offered to escalate the issue to the next level and take down my contact information.

For anyone with the same issue, you should keep calling and make some noise over this because it’s insane that MS locks in your account, giving you no ability to change it.  If I get no reply back on this in a few days, I will try and cancel my Office 365 University subscription.

However, I am now running into a roadblock because they require me to re-verify my university status.  When I go enter my .edu address, they tell me it has already been used for verification of the 365 subscription that customer support just cancelled.  I’ve emailed them back about it and hopefully they can correct this.

</snip>

Leonardo Da Vinci
Albert Einstein

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Rohn -

I am trying to Sign Out, switch accounts, Sign In without changing anything,  as mentioned in the above Microsoft link.  In other words, I want to keep my current Office email address and password and license.  So, with that as a criteria, my questions were:

1. Does (or can) my original Office account email address and password stay the same with the new Office account?
  3. If I close and reopen my account, will there be one or two accounts for Office on my computer?

Jerry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Rohn -

I am trying to Sign Out, switch accounts, Sign In without changing anything,  as mentioned in the above Microsoft link.  In other words, I want to keep my current Office email address and password and license.  So, with that as a criteria, my questions were:

1. Does (or can) my original Office account email address and password stay the same with the new Office account?

Jerry

#1 No.  MS can only conceive of a user/email account having 1 Office license ((password is irrelevant to licensing)

#2 yes, and the new license will wipe out the old one totally if it is a different license type. 365 Home and 365 Personal tend to extend each other. 365 University wipes both of them out and they wipe it out. I don't know where 365 Education stands. And I don't know much about business licenses, but you typically cannot use a "personal" account to activate a business license, and to the best of my knowledge different types of business licenses tend to wipe each other out (but I stand to be corrected on that)

#3 See number 2

Leonardo Da Vinci
Albert Einstein

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Rohn -

Thanks for the information.

Jerry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 23, 2021 Views 3,158 Applies to: