Cancel 365

Given the extreme problem with not being able to access my files today (sept 25) with an important presentation looming tomorrow, I really, really must cancel my Office 365 account.  How do I do it?  And how do I get back to the Office software I had on my computer I, unfortunately, signed up for 365.  I want an answer from MSFT.  

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Hi dwightmcneill,

I'd like to troubleshoot the issue to help you get back to the Office software. From your description, my understanding is that you are unable to open your Office files. If so, you can try the following steps to check the outcome:

1. Make sure you've signed in to the Office apps with the correct Office 365 account. You check it by opening an Office app > File > Account > User information. If so, sign out and re-sign in again.

2. Online Repair: Right click Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features (Category View) > Uninstall a program > Right click the MS product (like: Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus) > Change > Online repair. Please refer to: Repair an Office application.

If the issue persists or it's not your scenario, please let us know the following information so we can assist you further:

1. The detailed steps you performed before you " not being able to access my files". This could help us better understand the scenario.

2. The screenshots of you cannot access the files and errors messages you encountered if any.

3. Your Office 365 subscription and the place you download the Office apps.

4. Check if the issue happens to a specific Office file and app like PowerPoint or all the Office files and apps.

[Updated by Jared Cheng MSFT, 9:31 PM, Sep 26, 2016 (UTC)]

Regards,

Jared

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This is the screenshot I got from MS yesterday.  I tried to repair and it did not work, went in a loop, and then discontinued the PPT prez I was trying to work on.

Yes, your recommendation on the fix to right-click-n-uninstall did work.  TOO BAD this information was not given in the repair dialogue box!!!

Please realize that I had to work on a PPT prez for an important presentation and was locked out.

Not at all easy to get a response from MS. Wouldn't it be novel for you to have a phone number to call?

Rather I had to navigate around in your community forums to try to find an answer for hours.

And all of it was too late.  It ruined my day.  Worried about my deliverable.  And then had to rush this morning to try to pull it together.

Here is what I need from MS to consider staying with Office 365:

I need an apology for what happened.  Without this acknowledgement, I do not trust you to act on my behalf.

I need to know what happened.  It appears that this, and other needs like a requirement to get a new password, change my sound card settings, and re-enter information for Skype resulted from a MS Update.  Did my files with MS go corrupt?  Why?

I need to know that you will take responsibility for fixing these problems and be more transparent in acknowledging that these things happen AND that there is an easy fix, e.g. "If Office 365 is not working properly, reinstall it.  Don't worry, we will make sure you get the program back."  And I will not be your in-home technician to go through all the troubleshooting steps to fix YOUR product.

If you cannot answer these questions to my satisfaction, please advise on how to get my money back for Office 365.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi dwightmcneill,

We understand it was a poor experience and sorry you were impacted. Thanks for taking the time to share feedback with us.

As the issue is gone without repro, please understand that it's hard to find the root cause with such limited info at hand. We are glad the issue is gone and you can get back your Office apps.

Meanwhile, if you have any urgent issues next time, I would suggest you reach out to us immediately. Here is the link with the detailed contact info on all available support options: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Contact-Office-365-for-business-support-Admin-Help-32A17CA7-6FA0-4870-8A8D-E25BA4CCFD4B?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.

Thanks again for all your time and efforts on this.

Jared

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is not acceptable to me.

This is the third time I have asked to terminate from Office 365 and have been ignored by you.

You did not address my issues at all.  Most importantly, MS needs to provide easy access to good customer support when the product failed and causes a serious disruption as in this case.  This could be done if you applied your technical capabilities and commitment to customers by providing the information to call when certain error messages are displayed.

I do not accept your approach to resolving problems by resorting to discussion boards.  I do not accept your uninterpretable error messages.  I do not accept your self-service, DYI practices.  YOU NEED TO HAVE READY AVAILABILITY FOR SUPPORT.  

Given all these issues, I ask, again, for instructions in how to get rid of Office 365.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi dwightmcneill,

I understand the frustrations you experienced and hope you’ll stick with us. I have gone through the thread again and noticed that you are looking for a number to call in case you encounter any technical issue.

The article that i provided on my previous post contains all our available support option including phone support. Here you go:

I am providing 2 sets of articles on Office 365 for business and Office 365 for Home since i am not able to identify which Office 365 subscription that you have purchase through our conversation on this thread.

(Assisted Support options for technical issues)

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Contact-Office-365-for-business-support-Admin-Help-32a17ca7-6fa0-4870-8a8d-e25ba4ccfd4b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US (Office 365 for Business)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/ (Office 365 for Home)

(Billing - Cancellation)

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Cancel-Office-365-for-business-b1bc0bef-4608-4601-813a-cdd9f746709a?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Cancel-Office-365-for-home-d219b5a5-9443-44cf-bcfa-80a052bdd18c

Also i would like to make this aware to you that you can post to our community here if you encounter any issues in the future. We have our support engineer here ready to assist you.

Let me know if the above articles meet your requirement.

Thanks,

Jared

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is what I need from MS to consider staying with Office 365:

#1- I need an apology for what happened.  Without this acknowledgement, I do not trust you to act on my behalf.

#2- I need to know what happened.  It appears that this, and other needs like a requirement to get a new password, change my sound card settings, and re-enter information for Skype resulted from a MS Update.  Did my files with MS go corrupt?  Why?

#3- I need to know that you will take responsibility for fixing these problems and be more transparent in acknowledging that these things happen AND that there is an easy fix, e.g. "If Office 365 is not working properly, reinstall it.  Don't worry, we will make sure you get the program back."  And I will not be your in-home technician to go through all the troubleshooting steps to fix YOUR product.

#4- If you cannot answer these questions to my satisfaction, please advise on how to get my money back for Office 365.

#1 Won't happen. Not an "official" apology from corporate MS. You may get one from an MS employee on this forum, but that is the best  you can hope for.

#2 As Jared already said, in order to figure out "what happened", we (anyone doing trouble shooting) needs to be able to recreate the problem. We need specific steps to create the problem over and over.  Of course, this general type of problem is almost impossible to do that.  Did you notice the error code at the bottom of the message you posted there is an error code: C06d007e.  You should search this site and the web in general for fixes to that code.

.#3 <giggle> there isn't a snowball's chance in .... that will ever happen.  While MS will sometimes create KB articles with fixes for errors, MS doesn't actually acknowledge that there is a problem in the first place.  Yes, one of the default suggestions for fixing almost everything is "uninstall and re-install". It is relatively simple and fast and effective in many cases.

#4 MS has your money, they will not give a refund for time you have used your 365 subscription. There is a tiny chance you could get a refund for a one-time payment license. But either way they will fight you for it. But you can try. Here is MS's "official" corporate party line on refunds:

Refunds for Microsoft purchases and subscriptions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/about-refunds

Purchases: Purchases are final and non-refundable unless your service offer or applicable law says you’re eligible for a refund.

Get more info on gift card refunds at Microsoft gift card terms and conditions.

Subscriptions: If you cancel a subscription, you might be eligible for a refund. If you bought it from another retailer, contact them.

If you bought it from us, go to Services & subscription. If you're eligible, you'll have an option to cancel the subscription immediately and get a refund. We'll issue the refund immediately, but it can take a few days for your payment provider to process it. If it's taking too long, contact your provider first. Then, if you're still having trouble, contact Support.

If you're not eligible, you can still remove automatic billing and keep using the subscription until the expiration date.

Read theMicrosoft Services Agreement

Really!

Way too many people are having this problem and wasting days and weeks trying to get it fixed! The only way MS is going to fix it is if they start losing money because of it.

If MS does not cooperate and give you your money back, contact your credit card company. Ask for a the charge to be reversed because they gave you a defective product. Refer them to this forum to see that lots of people are having this problem.

Microsoft North American Retail Product Refund Guideline

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2804532 - Manage Office 365 / 2013 Billing Options

https://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.mspx

NOTE:  Print out this page and show it to the store!

<snip>

In the end, called Ms as the store would have been closed and s trek away anyway. They agreed to provide a replacement code if sent a photo of card and proof of purchase.

</snip>

Hit them in the bottom line by “voting with your feet”, ask for your money back.

2013 MS License Terms Specific to Refunds:

<snip>

1. SUPPORT AND REFUND PROCEDURES

Microsoft provides limited support services for properly licensed software as described at support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx .

</snip>

MS Services Agreement - re Refund

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/microsoft-services-agreement

<snip> 9.9. Refund policies. Unless otherwise provided by law or by a particular service offer, all purchases are final and non-refundable. </snip>

So you have to depend on your local laws if you want to get a refund on a copy of 365 that never worked

MS Online Store Refunds and Exchanges Policy

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/DisplayHelpReturnsRefundsPage

Product Key Card  vs. “Traditional” Retail disk - PKC Return policy

https://web.archive.org/web/20130106224710/http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/products/office/pages/office_2010_sell.aspx#fbid=1Kxc1qEogym

“Media less” Installations: Product Key Cards PKC (2010) / OEM / MLK(2007):

•     For use on new, preloaded PCs only
  •     1 license / 1 device / non-transferable
  •     Activates preloaded Office or Downloaded installation files
  •     Does not include media

Microsoft® Office 2010 Product Key Cards contains a 27 char “PIN” which you have to enter at a site to retrieve your 25 char product key. This key will activate Office on only one PC. No disc supplied. The PKC license is not transferable to another PC. Next week if your cat uses your computer as a litter box, you have to BUY A NEW PKC.

If you “regret” your PKC purchase you can return it.

<snip from the MS License Terms, Product Key Card section>

IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THE LICENSE TERMS, DO NOT USE THE SOFTWARE. INSTEAD, RETURN YOUR PRODUCT KEY CARD TO YOUR PLACE OF PURCHASE FOR A REFUND OR CREDIT.

If you cannot obtain a refund there, contact Microsoft or the Microsoft affiliate serving your country for information about Microsoft’s refund policies. See www.microsoft.com/worldwide. In the United States and Canada, call (800) MICROSOFT or see www.microsoft.com/info/nareturns.htm.

</snip>

<extract from 2013 MSLT>

You need proof of purchase for service under the limited warranty.

1. 1.    United States and Canada. For limited warranty service or information about how to obtain a refund for software acquired in the United States and Canada, contact Microsoft via telephone at (800) MICROSOFT; via mail at Microsoft Customer Service and Support, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052-6399; or visit microsoft.com/info/nareturns.htm.
  2. 2.    Europe, Middle East and Africa. If you acquired the software in Europe, the Middle East, or Africa, Microsoft Ireland Operations Limited makes the limited warranty. To make a claim under the limited warranty, you must contact either Microsoft Ireland Operations Limited, Customer Care Centre, Atrium Building Block B, Carmanhall Road, Sandyford Industrial Estate, Dublin 18, Ireland, or the Microsoft affiliate serving your country (see microsoft.com/worldwide).
  3. 3.    Australia. If you acquired the software in Australia, contact Microsoft to make a claim at 13 20 58; or Microsoft Pty Ltd, 1 Epping Road, North Ryde NSW 2113 Australia.
  4. 4.    Other Countries. If you acquired the software in another country, contact the Microsoft affiliate serving your country (see microsoft.com/worldwide).

</extract from 2013 MSLT>

If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, you have to take them to small claims court:

2016 09 27- Microsoft paid me $650 to scrub Windows 10 from my grandpa's PC, says man – small claims court

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/27/windows_10_small_claims_settlement/

Microsoft has paid the relative of an Alzheimer’s patient for having to scrub his PC clean of Windows 10.

2016 06 27- Woman wins $10,000 judgment against Microsoft for forced Windows 10 upgrade - Trick

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/230794-woman-wins-10000-judgment-against-microsoft-for-forced-windows-10-upgrade

#5 Twice you have asked for a contact to MS Support. DID YOU LOOK AT THE LINK that Jared provided in his Sept 27 reply (immediately after the reply I quoted)?  The article is specifically for Business Admins so provides links to this forum, to a place to get the phone number, but it also has a link to get contact info for general consumer users.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got an automated email to ask if I was satisfied and if the problem was solved.  The immediate problem was solved but the deeper problem was not.  I guess the problem was that the 365 program went corrupt and I needed to reload it.  The deeper problem is that I was not given reasonable help when this problem arose.  The "community" did not respond for a day. It was too late.  And the solution was quite easy.  But, the MS business model is to deflect the drudgery and work of figuring out went goes wrong to customers, does not have a transparent customer service approach to help customers in need, does not deliver reliability  because its platforms are unstable. and takes no responsibility when it disrupts peoples' lives.  Yesterday, I had a similar catastrophe with sister company Skype.  I needed to respond by phone to my wife who was in a car accident but I could not call out through Skype.  I spent 53 minutes waiting for a "chat" and then another 45 minutes with a rep who wanted to go through all my experiences to trouble shoot what caused it.  Finally, I googled and found out that there was a major outage at Skype, but was not told this.  Given that MS does not support a model to help its customers in need--and the "community" forums and all your do-it-yourself information and your hiding of a customer support call number, and your pat answers to deflect responsibility to consumers--I have no choice as a consumer but to JUST NOT DO BUSINESS WITH MS AGAIN.  I would like to continue doing business with MS but I will not deal with robotic messages, uninformed chat lines, and this "community" approach to resolving problems.  I need to COMMUNICATE with a real person, by phone, or by letter....and then expect a response that is understanding, accountable, and provides a path forward.  If not, I will just let my 365 subscription lapse (because it appears to be, intentionally, so difficult to discontinue if I am simply dissatisfied with service.)  I will discontinue Skype.  I presently use a good browser, Chrome.  And I will now, finally, make the switch to Apple.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 83 Applies to: