VAT

This may sound like a stupid question but I cannot find anywhere on the system where I can input my UK VAT registration number for my Office 365 subscription renewal. According to the Microsoft guidance I would be charged Ireland VAT unless I provide my UK VAT registration number in which case no VAT would be charged. Ony problem is that it seems impossible to provide such information. Has anyone else had this problem and if so is there a solution out there?

Unless you are buying a business version your invoice/bill has no vat details and therefore there is no Vat charge back option - you are treated the same way as any retail customer

Office 365 Personal & Home is not licensed for business use

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Unless you are buying a business version your invoice/bill has no vat details and therefore there is no Vat charge back option - you are treated the same way as any retail customer

Office 365 Personal & Home is not licensed for business use

Sorry but you are incorrect. Whether or not I purchase a home or business version has nothing to do with the VAT regulations. The licensing cannot rule over legislation. As long as I can demonstrate that the purchase is for the purposes behind the VAT registration I can a) be entitled to recover VAT if purchased from a supplier in the country of the VAT registration or b) if purchased from a supplier in the EU but not the country of my VAT registration I should be entitled to register my VAT number and be charged excluding VAT. Norton does this, if I buy online it is from Luxembourg and if I record my VAT registration number on my order I am charged ex-VAT.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This may sound like a stupid question but I cannot find anywhere on the system where I can input my UK VAT registration number for my Office 365 subscription renewal. According to the Microsoft guidance I would be charged Ireland VAT unless I provide my UK VAT registration number in which case no VAT would be charged. Ony problem is that it seems impossible to provide such information. Has anyone else had this problem and if so is there a solution out there?

Hi Keith,

There is no possibility to get the VAT refund/exempt to be automatic for purchases made for products/services that are not purchased through the Microsoft Business departments.

What you will have to do is get in touch with the Microsoft Accounts and Billing support and provide them with your VAT number, and they will be able to manually process the VAT refund.

Hope this helps!

If you found my response helpful, I would appreciate if you show it by clicking either "Helpful" or "Solved my problem"!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are incorrect, if an item is purchased as retail there is no requirement for the retailer to show/give their vat reg# or provide a vat invoice.

The fact that some on line suppliers provide this facility to enter your vat# is immaterial

You have purchased a retail product from MS which is not licensed for business use, therefore MS do not provide a vat invoice.

I have a number of Business Office versions and I'm provided with a vat invoice

(Its something I've dealt with for the last 20 years and through a number of vat inspections, with various companies)

Contributor since 2006

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

From what others have said/posted this is a none starter
Contributor since 2006

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

From what others have said/posted this is a none starter

Sorry to say, but you are wrong.

Microsoft gladly assists with processing the VAT refund manually as long as you can provide them with a valid VAT number.

I know this from personal experience, and I know for a fact that they do it on a daily basis.

If you would rather make a claim to get the tax back yourself through the tax office where you live, a VAT invoice is provided with every purchase made, and you can contact the Accounts & Billing support to have the invoice modified to include your company name & VAT number.

If you do not have trust in what I say, feel free to jump on the chat support and ask them what the policy is - I am sure you will be surprised.

If you found my response helpful, I would appreciate if you show it by clicking either "Helpful" or "Solved my problem"!

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was only reporting what others have said
Contributor since 2006

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 28, 2023 Views 4,275 Applies to: