Limit on calculated fields?

Hello all,

One of the recommendations to the problem I was having in my previous discussion was to put a calculated field on one of my tables.

I have about 85000 rows of data, and I'm discovering that Access does not want to put the calculated field.

If I were to reduce the number of Rows to about 1,000, Access has no problems.

Is this normal?

Also, access was suggesting to change a setting for a while. I can't exactly remember what it is but it seemed to be a registry setting. Later it stopped giving this suggestion and started saying that the field I'm  using in the calculated field does not exist, which is not true.

Comments are appreciated.

Al

/Beware, I may have voice recognition errors in my text/

I am not aware of such limit.

You have to be MUCH more specific for us to be able to look into this further. For example:

1. What is the error, verbatim?

2. What is the calculated column definition?

3. What are the datatypes of the underlying column of that definition?

4. What was the registry setting suggestion, verbatim?

Can you post a new database with only this table, and stripped of any PII, to a public location such as a free OneDrive account?

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP
Phoenix, AZ

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am not aware of such limit.

You have to be MUCH more specific for us to be able to look into this further. For example:

1. What is the error, verbatim?

2. What is the calculated column definition?

3. What are the datatypes of the underlying column of that definition?

4. What was the registry setting suggestion, verbatim?

Can you post a new database with only this table, and stripped of any PII, to a public location such as a free OneDrive account?

Hello Tom:

I do not have access to the database over the weekend, so here is what I got today when I replicated the process:

1.  "The calculated field can not be created.

Verify that expression 'Left([Client Name], 7)' includes fields that exist in the current table."

I would like to state here that it definitely exists. I changed from Client Name to Client_Name to make sure it is not a space issue. 

2. Calculated column is simply "Left([Client Name], 7)"

3. Client Name is a "short text" field. I am defining the calculated field to be also "short text".

4. "File sharing lock count exceeded. Increase MaxLocksPerFile registry entry".

Stripping the PII would be a monumental task, at least the way I know how. I will work on it when I get a bit more time. One table has 61K records, another 71K.

In fact, what I am sensing is that I may be forcing the limits of what Access can do. As I said in my initial post, when I reduce the number of rows to about 1,000, Access has no problems in creating the calculated field.

Thanks for your help,

Al

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Al, good answers.

It worked just fine for me using A2010 32-bit. My registry has MaxLocksPerFile at the default 9500.

I created a new table with Autonumber PK, and Short Text field [Client Name] that I filled with 80,000 rows of random text (see code below, please try on your machine). Then I created the calculated field. It worked.

Now, before you get the idea I consider this a good idea: I do not. This calculation can be performed in a query. Calculated fields should be rare.

Code follows.

Sub fillCalculated()
    Dim rs              As DAO.Recordset
    Dim lngCount        As Long
    Dim strClientName   As String
    Const MAX_RECS      As Long = 80000

Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("tblCalculated", dbOpenDynaset)
    For lngCount = 1 To MAX_RECS
        rs.AddNew
        rs![Client Name] = GetRandomString(10, 30)
        rs.Update
    Next lngCount
    rs.Close
    Set rs = Nothing
    Debug.Print Time$, "Done"
End Sub

Public Function GetRandomString(ByVal intMinLength As Integer, ByVal intMaxLength As Integer)
    Const STRING_CHARS As String = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"
    Dim s As String
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim intLen As Integer

intLen = Int((intMaxLength - intMinLength + 1) * Rnd + intMinLength)
    For i = 1 To intLen
        s = s & Mid$(STRING_CHARS, Int((Len(STRING_CHARS) - 1 + 1) * Rnd + 1), 1)
    Next i
    GetRandomString = s
End Function

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP
Phoenix, AZ

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Is this table linked to any server? If you using linked tables to SharePoint lists on office 365, then such table changes are restricted to less then 5000 rows. In other words, you "can" make the changes before 5000 rows, but not after.

However for desktop and local tables (or a shared network), then 85,000 rows is a rather small file - thus some additional detail is not clear here that preventing you from adding this additional column that is a "calculated" column.

So unless some server system such as SharePoint is involved, then no such restrictions or limit should exist here.

Regards,

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why would you want a calculated field in a table such as Left([Client Name], 7)?    That's the stuff you put in a query!
Build a little, test a little

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,147 Applies to: