Access Database is getting corrupt again and again

We have an application which was working okay till last month. But after the last windows update our clients are getting issues with access database. access database got corrupted.  We ran compact and repair. But it still getting corrupted again and again.  This issue started right after the window update. clients are on different OS. Like server 2018, server 2012 and windows 10.

Is there anything i have check in new windows update or any other step to prevent database corruption?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Were you able to identify exactly what procedures/queries/macros, etc were initiated when the file became corrupt?

As indicated in previous response, we were able to identify back to back queries where there was a delete and then append query on the same table.  Adjusting these so they were not back to back and/or introducing a delay such as doevents, seems to have resolved the issue without having to use the workaround.  There may still be something else, but it has been 6-8 weeks now without the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Our users have started reporting similar issues with the latest round of updates to Office 2016 / Win 10 1803.  They repair the corrupted database just to have it do it again for seemingly no reason.  We can't apply the "workaround" because that is our main file server and would impact other stuff.  I will try the client workaround but its really poor development if you have to apply workarounds and they haven't addressed the issue in an year!  Seems like every "creature" update we get, they screw us over in some fashion and break something.  Hard to support systems when they constantly give you a moving target.  Small businesses can't afford to pay the extortion fee for Enterprise.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Our users have started reporting similar issues with the latest round of updates to Office 2016 / Win 10 1803.  They repair the corrupted database just to have it do it again for seemingly no reason.  We can't apply the "workaround" because that is our main file server and would impact other stuff.  I will try the client workaround but its really poor development if you have to apply workarounds and they haven't addressed the issue in an year!  Seems like every "creature" update we get, they screw us over in some fashion and break something.  Hard to support systems when they constantly give you a moving target.  Small businesses can't afford to pay the extortion fee for Enterprise.  

Can't you employ the workaround on individual workstations. That is reported to "fix" the problem.

Shane Groff......are there any updates on this issue? You indicated some time ago that a permanent fix was in the pipeline.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can't you employ the workaround on individual workstations. That is reported to "fix" the problem.

I am actually trying that now... fingers crossed this will fix their issue.  I will report back if it did or did not.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So, its been a few weeks with the work around in place on the individual workstations and it seems to be helping so far.  I had to do it on about a dozen systems and to be fair this database is older than dirt.  It needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.  Just glad I am not getting the daily complaints about the database being corrupted.  

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

New to this thread. Run into this issue with the following setup:

- Windows 10 workstations with either 1809 or 1903

- Corruption occurred twice within 4 hours

- Opening the Access backend file and running the repair brings us back working

- Backend hosted on a shared folder on Windows Server 2012 Standard

- Access Standard 2019

I applied the DisableLeasing fix and computers lost network drives, could not find the domain, needed credentials every time it restarted, the whole thing was a mess BUT Access backed was not being corrupted anymore.

I undid the DisableLeasing fix and applied the other fix:

"FileInfoCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000
"FileNotFoundCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000
"DirectoryCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000

Will post tomorrow with the results.

Official response from Microsoft was updated July 1st. Still no fix..

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/access-reports-that-databases-are-in-an-inconsistent-state-%EF%BB%BF-7ec975da-f7a9-4414-a306-d3a7c422dc1d?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't realise that applying the fix on individual PCs could be problematic. Has anyone else who has employed the fix on client PCs had similar issues?

Also, what has been people's experience with employing the fix on the server? I had the IT guy for a company that I've supplied a database to employ the server fix many months ago. It fixed the corruption problem and there were no problems with slow access times. Is there some other variable in the mix that can cause slow access times when the server fix is implemented? I've read that this can occur and I'm wondering why I haven't seen it in this case.

I will shortly be installing a similar database for another client and I'm tossing up whether to ask their IT people to employ the server fix or to try the client PC fix.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I applied the fix on both server and workstations (DisableLeasing fix). Even computers that didn't have the fix had issues connecting to the server. It was messy.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My understanding is the DisableLeasing "FIX" causes more problems than it fixes and in many cases cannot be applied on big sites where servers are shared across many departments. The best fix is applying the simple registry change below to ALL the Windows 10 clients accessing the data - no need to apply to Win7 machines or to the Server. From experience this works and has been reported here numerous times to work. I am not sure why the Disable Leasing fix to the server is still being mentioned as a possible solution.

Here is the registry change to apply to ALL windows10 "Clients"

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]
"FileInfoCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000
"FileNotFoundCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000
"DirectoryCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000

If anyone has applied this and still gets problems they should report it back to this list.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

I have applied the Server Fix to all my clients’ servers and my own. This fixed the Access corruption issue and there have been no problems with performance or connection. All good for over a year (touch wood). I have a mixture of 2008, 2012 & 2016 servers in the mix. 

Hope this experience helps. 

Graeme

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2024 Views 68,095 Applies to: