Access Database is getting corrupt again and again

We have an application which was working okay till last month. But after the last windows update our clients are getting issues with access database. access database got corrupted.  We ran compact and repair. But it still getting corrupted again and again.  This issue started right after the window update. clients are on different OS. Like server 2018, server 2012 and windows 10.

Is there anything i have check in new windows update or any other step to prevent database corruption?

Question Info

Last updated April 3, 2020 Views 39,167 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Margaret,

I am not an expert in Powershell. I don't think you need Server 2016. Perhaps it is the version of Powershell you are using. If you try these command under Windows 10 you will see they work. I may also try the other approach suggested to change the Windows 10 clients using the file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]

"FileInfoCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000
"DirectoryCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000
"FileNotFoundCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000

This approach is more easily implemented in my setup program if it works and does not require server changes. I would be curious to see how either approach works out for you.

Mark

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I made the registry changes today on the user's PC since she is out of the office. So we'll see next week if it helps things.

Thanks,

Margaret

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you know if you need to restart the PC or workstation service after making the registry change? Or does it take effect immediately without restarting anything?

Sorry this didn't help.

So what is it now? 10 or 12 months since Microsoft created this problem? Is the current state of the issue still that there has been no official fix from Microsoft?

Shane Groff, can you please give us an update?

Sorry this didn't help.

So what is it now? 10 or 12 months since Microsoft created this problem? Is the current state of the issue still that there has been no official fix from Microsoft?

Yep, you pretty much summed it all up.

Update 2019-03-25

I was informed (by the moderators of this forum) that the above was not helpful, so let me be more explicit in my answer: "basically, absolutely nothing has changed and the only option remains implementing the DisableLeasing registry hack workaround."

--
Daniel Pineault
Microsoft MVP 2010-2019

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree that it is regrettable that we are not given at least a response by Microsoft.  I have found so far that the change recommended to the Windows 10 client PCs as follows seems to have fixed the problem. I have been forced to implement this and move on while waiting for an official response. Disable leasing on the server has also worked.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]

Sorry this didn't help.

So far the registry change on the Windows 10 client has fixed it for my user. She is no longer reporting the error. But it is regrettable that Microsoft hasn't addressed this problem. It's a big problem for companies that build Access solutions and companies that rely on Access to get work done.

Sorry this didn't help.

For God's sake Microsoft!  Fix this.  It's been a year now and every damned day I have to deal with the same issue from a different location.  I have 30+ law enforcement academies that use an Access application and they rely on it.  The cost in lost productivity and the cost in lost credibility is not insignificant.  Agencies are reluctant to apply the "fix" which means that I get daily requests to get their systems back up and running. 

I am a contractor developer and do not have the permissions or scope to apply server fixes which means contacting their IT which means the old "We don't support Microsoft Access applications" routine and only adds to their suspicion of the product.

This alone may drive me into retirement.

Sorry this didn't help.

We continue to gather information from customers, and are testing a new approach.

This is not a simple issue, and in addition to the difficulty of isolating the problem, we also have to be careful not to introduce new issues.

The initial fix we tested for this problem introduced new issues that were worse than the original problem.

We are working on this, and I will post updates when I have more concrete information.

Shane Groff

Access Engineering

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree it should be fixed by Microsoft. But in the interest of giving you and your clients some relief, I would urge you to try the client side registry change that has been suggested. It seems that is working for my clients without any downside so far. Also does not require a server change. Disable leasing on the server does work, so I suggest both to my clients, but the Windows 10 PC changes to the registry below seem to do the trick. Restart the PC after making the change and do it on every Windows 10 PC that uses the database. The only downside is that it only takes one Windows 10 PC without these changes to corrupt the database again. 

Sorry this didn't help.