Fonts are bigger than indicated size

I have been running into this problem for quite a while. When I create a new chart in Access 2010, the fonts are very large. I can change the size but they are still large. On some charts, after trying about everything, the font all of a sudden match what is indicated and are much smaller. I have no idea what triggers the change. I've created several charts but I'm wasting hours trying to do something that will correct the fonts.

The first image shows a font size

of 8 after I've gotten it to work correctly. The second image shows a font size of 8 before I got it to change.

I'm continually looking for what I did to make the font size to reduce properly. Has anyone heard of this and what is the fix.

Question Info

Last updated September 4, 2019 Views 1,334 Applies to:
What did you try? Did you open the form/report in design view and double-click the chart control so you could select and format the axis?
Duane Hookom
Minnesota

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I think I've done everything that could be done to adjust the font. Every dialog I go to says it is 8; however, it is obviously much larger. I previous instances, I continued to try everything I could find time after time until, "presto" it worked. The font indicated in the dialog boxes did not change, "8", but the size obviously was smaller and I was able to format things as they should be. One interesting note is that when certain dialogs also display the image of the chart as you make adjustments, the image displayed is the correct one with smaller fonts. When the dialog closes, the real world picture is totally different. I am a long way from being an expert in VBA but I've been doing it for quite some time.

Sorry this didn't help.

Terry,

I think I have come across this issue years ago but don't recall the fix. I would try a different font face. Make sure you use a standard scaleable font.

Duane Hookom
Minnesota

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried numerous font faces and sizes. They all change except they are giant size. When I change the font size, they change proportionally but they are just oversized. Please, think hard about the fix. This is a real pain the butt.

Sorry this didn't help.

You are taxing my old brain beyond its capability ;-)

Check the Size Mode. It could be the actual chart is very small and so it is growing to fit the chart object size in the form/report. When this happens the font grows. It's like a jpg image that is postage stamp size with a 8 pt font but expanded to 4"x4". When the Size Mode is set to "stretch" the entire chart grows to fill the 4x4 which increases the font proportionally.

If I get this correct, you owe me a beer ;-)

Duane Hookom
Minnesota

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner -- I've been away for a couple of days. To your solution, there's no beer for you yet. The setting is "clip".

Sorry this didn't help.

I would still attempt to open the chart control and increase the actual chart size.
Duane Hookom
Minnesota

Sorry this didn't help.

I am frustrated to say the least. I've changed image modes, I've made the chart bigger, I've come close to blowing my brains out. Ready for this -- I've gotten the fonts to change on two charts -- one bar and one pie. On the first I was playing around with different fonts all of a sudden, the indicated size of what ever was selected was 30. From then on, everything formatted fine. I wasn't sure what I did so I tried to duplicate it on another chart. No go with fooling with fonts and sizes. Played around with stretch, clip, and such with every part of the chart I could find. Presto, just as before, the font sizes read 30 or there about. Time to work on a third chart. So far, I've not been able to duplicate anything I was doing on the two previous charts. I'm quite frustrated and need to give this a rest for the night.

Sorry this didn't help.

I found a fix to this problem which started for me after I installed a higher-resolution monitor.  In the process it apparently screws up the fonts used in Access, making MS Sans Serif disappear altogether.  When Access can't find MS Sans serif it substitutes another font that renders larger n the screen, making everything that used to look all tidy now messed up.  

I did the fix - it adds the fonts back into the registry and - voila - my font-related  problem disappeared

A diagnosis and a fix can be found here:

http://calmit.org/sans-serif-windows-7/

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.