Microsoft Access Database Corruption

Dear All,

I've many users who have been updated to 1803 and are now experiencing issues with shared MS Access databases - essentially when more than one person is working on a database it becomes corrupted and has to be repaired.

The issue is described exactly in this article: https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/windows-itpro-docs/issues/934

There are a few open cases on the feedback hub regarding this, but it doesn't seem like anything is happening. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? does anyone have a fix that avoids rolling back the OS?

best wishes,

Joel

Question Info

Last updated August 8, 2019 Views 5,377 Applies to:

Is you database split?
It's each user given their own copy of the frontend?

If the issue came about because of a big on an update, then rolling back the update is the obvious solution until Microsoft identifies the root cause and releases an official fix.

You may want to keep your eyes on 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_access-mso_winother-msoversion_other/access-database-is-getting-corrupt-again-and-again/d3fcc0a2-7d35-4a09-9269-c5d93ad0031d

As it stands right now, i do not believe Microsoft has identified the issue.  I think they are investigating, trying to gather information. 

--
Daniel Pineault
Microsoft MVP 2010-2019

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I rolled back to a prior version of Office 365 and the problem went away.

I've been advised that the Office 365 engineers are working on the problem.

Here's the command with the version I rolled back to:

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.9029.2253

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/2770432/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2013-or-office-2016-clic

Sorry this didn't help.

You can get all the details regarding this bug and the Official Workaround while we wait for a new update to fix the bug in the current update by using the following link

http://www.devhut.net/2018/06/13/access-bug-database-is-in-an-unrecognized-format/

As it stands right now, the DisableLeasing registry hack is the solution that has been reported to work in all cases, to the point that Microsoft has now adopted it as their official workaround until they actually figure out the root cause of the problem and issue a fix.

--
Daniel Pineault
Microsoft MVP 2010-2019

Sorry this didn't help.

For my scenario and many days and hours investigating this issue, the Windows 7 workstations had no issues accessing and sharing the network mapped backend database.  The backend database became corrupted as the Windows 10 (1803) workstations were introduced into the database and performed extensive query and table operations.  Evidently SMB changes are the culprit in the 1803 update and the following fix (and workstation reboot) worked for me which was applied to all the Windows 10 (1803) workstations in this environment.  Copy and save the following text to notepad and save it as "SMBCacheFix.reg" (with quotes)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]
"FileInfoCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000
"FileNotFoundCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000
"DirectoryCacheLifetime"=dword:00000000

You may also review the "DisableLeasing" registry settings for Windows Server 2012 or above pertaining to the server side if the fix above does not resolve your problem.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.