How to fix "Access failed to start correctly last time..." error that occurs every day.

This error occurs after every reboot. When I try to launch Access, with or without using shortcut, I get the message that Access failed to start correctly last time..."  If I answer "No" to "Do you want to start Access in safe mode?", the message closes and the following event is logged.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Microsoft Office 14
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2001
Date:  8/1/2011
Time:  10:06:20 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: GV62014356
Description:
Microsoft Access: Rejected Safe Mode action : Access failed to start correctly last time.  Starting Access in safe mode will help you correct or isolate a startup problem in order to successfully start the program.  Some functionality may be disabled in this mode.

Do you want to start Access in safe mode?.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Access does not start.

I attempt tp start the program again, receive the same message, and answer "Yes" this time.  The message closes and the following event is logged.

Event ID: 2000
Time:  10:10:03 AM
Description:
Microsoft Access: Accepted Safe Mode action : Access failed to start correctly last time.  Starting Access in safe mode will help you correct or isolate a startup problem in order to successfully start the program.  Some functionality may be disabled in this mode.

Do you want to start Access in safe mode?.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

after which a repair is started:

Event ID: 2000
Time:  10:10:10 AM
Description:
Microsoft Access: Accepted Safe Mode action : Access failed to launch in safe mode. Do you want to start repair?.

The repair completes, closes and I try to start Access again and the error cycle starts over with "Access failed to start correctly..."

The only way I have found to work around this is to uninstall, reboot, reinstall. Access will work until the next day when the process starts over again.

Environment:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer LENOVO
System Model 2537RL1
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~2393 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 6IET65WW (1.25 ), 6/7/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 3,072.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.45 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.95 GB
Page File Space 4.70 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or questions.

Thank you!

Answer
Answer

You could try the following to see if you have a specific registry key in place that may be causing the issue:

+>Close Access.

+>Open the registry.

+>Navigate to the following key:  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Access

+>Under the Access folder to you see a key called “Resiliency”?

+>If so, I would first recommend backing up this “Resiliency” key by right clicking on it, choose export, and then saving it to a folder on your machine.

+>After you backup this key, I would then try right clicking on the “Resiliency” key and choose delete.

+>Try opening Access again and see if the issue reproduces.

Best Regards,

Nathan O.

Microsoft Online Community Support

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2024 Views 10,870 Applies to: