Access 2007 : Printing attachments

The attachments feature in MSAccess 2007 is great. But, it looks like Microsoft left us hanging when it comes to printing a report with the attachments. I only get an icon. Documents I am trying to print are PDF. Is there any way to get the attachment to print on the report? If I attach a jpg, it will be printed. Looks like I need some way to tell Access to print the pdf.
Answer
Answer

Hi,

I have confirmed that this is a design limitation of the product.  The Attachment control was designed to only display the contents of certain image file formats.  Those formats are: *.bmp, *.emf, *.exif, *.gif, *.ico, *.jpeg, *.png , *.tiff and *.wmf.  If the file format is not one of those image formats, the control will check with the operating system for the icon associated with that extension, and then render that icon within the control.

If you need the ability to print, the workarounds would be to either:

1. use an OLE field - could lead to a large database if you have a lot of (or large) PDF files

2. Adobe PDF Reader setup installs an ActiveX control for the reader. You could embed that control inside an Access report.  The control seems to expose a bunch of methods in its object model, and you could write VBA code to load a PDF file into the control.  It looks like the Load method does load a PDF and display the contents within the control frame.

Given the popularity of PDF files I do think that we (Microsoft) should consider adding *.pdf to the list of supported file types.  I am going to submit this feedback to see if the developers will look at adding this functionality to future versions of the product. 

If you would like to share your feedback/suggestions, you can do so using the following link: 

https://feedback.office.microsoft.com/default.aspx?productkey=office2007

Best Regards,
Kathy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 6, 2020 Views 7,425 Applies to: