MS Access 2010 Runs VERY Slowly

Why does ms Access 2010 run so slowly as to be non-functional?  I have a new laptop with a fast processor and plenty of RAM running Windows 7.  I installed  Office Professional 2010 and although I really don't like the "ribbon concept" (I've been using 2000-era Office for many years), Word and Excel are functional, as is Outook (at least for my purposes).

However, Access 2010 runs so slowly that I don't want to use it - I'll use my old 2000-2001 version on an older computer which runs Access fast.

I started a very simple and small database from scratch - one table with 700 records and 10-15 fields - just so I could use database reporting features to present the data in different ways.

So I import an Excel spreadsheet with the data on it.  Nothing happens, then at the top of the screen, I see the word "(Not Responding)".  I wait half a minute or a minute, then finally the data appears.  Then I create labels.  Same thing happens.  Every time I click a "create report" button, or change the view (from design to print preview, or vice versa) I wait for half-a-minute or a minute, while the "(Not Responding)" message is at the top of the screen and the little blue circle spins around, then finally the requested change of view shows up. 

The time it took me to do these simple tasks was 2-3 times as long as it should have taken.  I googled "slow access 2010" and followed a couple of threads.  One suggested starting access in safe mode.  I did that, and there was no difference.  One mentioned that putting an access database on a network  can slow it.  This is running on one computer.

I have used access for 15 years plus.  I'm no pro, but I can get it to do what I need.  Now, I don't want to use this version.  That's not good.

What is going on?

John Estle

Question Info

Last updated June 19, 2019 Views 29,330 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I had the same problem when I replaced my Compaq laptop with an HP laptop.  Access 2010 databases worked fine in my old machine which was running on a Windows 7 platform, including changing the properties and design data.

I had to get another laptop and bought this HP machine with Windows 8 that I installed MS Office 2010 onto.  My Access databases seemed slowish to run queries etc but nothing worth worrying about.  It was when I went into the design mode that the database ran like a dead dog. 

I tried several of the suggestions others mentioned but nothing resolved the problem.  I then went into the MS Access.EXE properties and selected the 'Compatibility' tab.  

The MS Access.EXE can be found in either the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14 or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14.  Select the MS Access.Exe and right mouse button it then select properties from the drop down menu

I ticked the Run this program in Compatibility mode for: field and selected Windows 7 from the drop down options.  You will need to restart your PC before you hopefully notice the effect.  My databases are fine now

Good Luck

29 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I am also a long time Access user, and I not experienced your slow down issue.  I mean every new piece of software for the last 25 years I used has always required more ram, more processing, and more disk space. However this information is not going to be any more of a surprise to you then telling you the sky is blue.

However, I not seen a significat or noticialbe slow down when using 2010 as compared to previous versions.

The type of slow you down mention is useally due to some setup issue on your computer, and not that of Access.

Some thnings to check:

Virus scanning software – set it to exclude mdb, or accdb files

Default printer – if that printer is network printer, then the slow down can occur when access attempts to check/inqure about the printer (and it does this for things like form desing, report design, and a good number of other places where you would not expect such slow downs). This issue has cropped up for me over the years, and I now have set my defalt printer to a local pdf printer.

Linked tables to network drives or network folders. This is a problem even worse when some of the tables are linked to files that do not exist. Either way, this issue is fixed by ensuring you have a persistant connection.

If none of the above helps, then check out the following list:

http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm

So what you are experiencing is not normal and not what the general community here is seeing with a2010. I have run A2010 on a weaker single core laptop and it runs just fine without issues or some big extra delays like you are having.

Albert D. Kallal  (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.