ComboBox Wizard third option - find a record is not displayed - help

Hi, Hope someone can help.  I am trying to create a form where the user searches a record and selects it from the combo box in the header section.  This then populates the Detail section which contains text boxes such as Salutation, First Name, Surname, Phone etc.

I have read through all the threads related to this and also checked in a book, but whenever I use the Combobox wizard to create this, I never get offered the third option "Find a record".  What am I doing wrong?  I haven't used Access for years so am back to being really novice.  I have tried the various code displayed in previous records but with no success.

Question Info

Last updated December 31, 2019 Views 11,864 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
The third option for the combobox wizard is only available for bound forms. Since the search code works by creating a Recordset clone of the recordsource, there has to be a recordsource. If you are using an unbound form, you will have to code your own search routine.
Hope this helps, Scott<> P.S. Please post a response to let us know whether our answer helped or not. Microsoft Access MVP 2009 Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA Technical Editor for: Special Edition Using Microsoft Access 2007 and Access 2007 Forms, Reports and Queries
Hope this helps,
Scott<>
Blog: http://scottgem.wordpress.com
Microsoft Access MVP since 2007

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.