Zoom level in PowerPoint 2016 have stopped working - how to restore?

Problem: The zoom bar in PowerPoint 2016 (Windows 10)  has stopped working. Instead of going to a specific zoom level when you click anywhere on the zoom level bar in the lower right corner, PowerPoint will only move it down/up 6% for each click regardless of where you click - and is not moving the tick mark to the specific zoom level where you click. The only way to quickly zoom in or out is to actively drag the tick mark - which is much slower than clicking on a specific spot. 

This seems to be connected to installing the Duet Display app to use my iPad as a secondary screen for a project. I did the same for both my stationary workstation (regular screen) as well as my laptop (touch screen but no issues with zoom level before) - and both PowerPoint programs immediately got the zoom issue. Duet Display has been uninstalled - but the zoom issues persist. It seems as if PowerPoint now think I have a touch screen - and I'm unable to get it back to "normal". 

I'm scratching my head and I've tried to understand what is going on and how to restore it. I'm not sure uninstalling and reinstalling Office would help - because maybe this is something that is a W10 issue rather than a Office/PowerPoint issue. 

How can you tell PowerPoint to zoom to click as is the original default and not zoom in "increments" of 6%? 

Hi JRehnvall,

Do you have the latest updates for your Office 2016 applications? To update, go to File > Accounts > Update now. Provide the current version of your PowerPoint 2016.

Can you confirm if you are adjusting the view by clicking View > Zoom? Do you encounter any error on using the Zoom feature? Can you provide a screenshot of the error? As well as the steps, you did on how you encounter it.

Try starting up your PowerPoint 2016 in safe mode. Check if there are improvements. To start in safe mode, follow the steps on this link.

Thanks,

Mike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi JRehnvall,

Do you need further assistance on this?

Thanks,

Mike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes! 

1. I do have the latest update of Office (Office 365 Business) - Version 1702 (Build 7870.2031)

2. I'm using on the zoom bar in the lower right corner (not the View Tab -Zoom)

3. When you normally click on the zoom bar in PowerPoint, your zoom level will go to that exact level where you clicked - that is a quick way to zoom in or out. However, when I now click anywhere on the bar, PowerPoint will just move the tick mark up or down a couple of % (depending on if I click on the left or right of the middle), regardless on where on the bar I click. I can click at the very end (-) or at the very top (+), PowerPoint will only zoom a couple of % for each click.  Let's say I'm at 100% and want to zoom in - for each click (regardless of where I click on the bar), I will zoom in a couple of percent. To zoom in / zoom out more more with one click, I have to actively drag the tick mark up or down. The normal zoom bar stopped working after I added the touch screen (iPad) drivers - it is as if PowerPoint thinks I'm now using a touch screen where I would "drag" the bar up and down, rather than using a mouse to click exactly where I want to go.  Same issue happened on two of my active machines after installing the touch screen (iPad)- a third workstation that did not have the touch screen (iPad) installed still works correct. 

4. I've repaired Office (Repair Online) which fixed the problem - however after restart, problem is back. I also get a touch numerical keyboard up on my screen when I log on to Windows - as if Windows think I'm using a touch screen and I want to use my fingers to type in my Windows password. 

5. I've tried opening PowerPoint in Safe Mode - same problem. 

If I succeed - below here is a gif showing the zoom issue: 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi JRehnvall,

Have you tried reinstalling your Office applications? To uninstall, go to Control Panel > Uninstall a Program. Uninstall the Microsoft Office 365 Business then use the Office Deployment tool to install.

You can download the Office 2016 deployment tool on this link.

Modify the configuration file and use this script:

<Configuration>

<AddOfficeClientEdition="32"Channel="Current">

<ProductID="O365BusinessRetail">

<LanguageID="en-us"/>

</Product>

</Add>

</Configuration>

Open the command prompt and then change the directory on where you extracted the Office 2016 deployment tool:

Cd C:\ODT2016\

Use the command below to download and install the Office 2016:

Setup.exe /download

Setup.exe /configure

You can check this article for more information.

Regards,

Mike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi JRehnvall,

Have you followed the above steps? Do you need further assistance on this?

Thanks,

Mike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 440 Applies to: