Your Account Does Not Allow Editing On A Mac

For some users in our corporate office we use Office 365 for Mac. We have a couple users using Office 365 and have downloaded Office 2016 on their Mac. Of these four users, only one is having the issue that is not allowing them to edit documents. For about three weeks they were fine but recently started getting a message that their account does not allow editing. This is effectively stopping them from working altogether. 

What I have tried:

1. Clicked "Use another account" and had the user sign in with their Office 365 credentials.

2. Clicked the "Activate" button on Word and had the user sign in with their credentials there. 

3. Logged into portal.office.com to confirm the user has a license for "the most recent desktop software"

4. Confirmed the user is assigned a Mac 365 for Business license.

What else can be done to get this user working? 

Thank you,

Joel

|

hi joel,

since you have tried some troubleshooting steps, if the issue persists now, could you perform the following steps in the affected computer and check the result?

1. clear credential caches and reactivate office 2016 for mac to see if there is any improvement.

1) open finder > applications > utilities > keychain access and remove the following application passwords.

a. unknown

b. microsoft office identities cache 2

c. microsoft office identities settings 2

d. search for all occurrences of adal in the keychain and remove all those entries if present.

2) open finder > click go on the top menu bar> go to folder> input the following path: ~/library/containers/

right-click each of the folders below if present, and then click move to trash.

ubf8t346g9.ms

ubf8t346g9.office

ubf8t346g9.officeosfwebhost

2. try uninstalling office 2016 for mac completely  then re-install and re-activating office 2016.

if the issue persists, could you help us collect the following information?

1. does this issue occur to all office 2016 for mac applications or the specific applications?

2. did your office applications work properly before for that user?

3. a screenshot about the detailed symptom of the error message. to upload screenshots, please click use rich formatting in this thread and select the insert/edit media icon.

thanks,

james

79 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

followed all provided directions. after a completely fresh install, the applications worked for a at most an hour before the error came back.

currently the error only appears on excel from what i have experienced.

i've confirmed the account still holds all proper licenses for this suite on the office 365 portal. a screenshot of the error is below:

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Benjamin,

Please double check the problematic user has been assigned The latest desktop version of Office license:
access https://portal.office.com/Profile with the problematic user account and capture a screenshot of the lienses
(If First Release has been enabled, you may need to click Subscriptions to locate the licenses page).
Appreciate your cooperation.

Thanks,
James

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

a screenshot is attached. as you can see the user has been assigned the license in question as i mentioned originally. 

thank you for your help with this,

joel

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'd also like to add onto what I said yesterday. The user is reporting Outlook, Word and PowerPoint are also having the same issue as shown in the Excel screen shot.

Thanks,

Joel

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joel,

From your description, please confirm whether the problematic user account can normally edit on other Macs and whether other account without the issue can normally edit the document on the problematic Mac. This would help us to clarify the situation.

Moreover, In order to further investigate the issue, I'd like to collect the following logs:
1.Go to the following path to get the Office 365V2 Log:

~/Library/Containers/com.micosoft.Office365ServiceV2/Data/Library/Caches/Microsoft/uls/ com.micosoft.Office365ServiceV2/logs

2.Go to the following path to get Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook for Mac application’s log:

~/Library/Containers/Com.microsoft.Outlook/Data/Library/Caches/Microsoft/uls/Com.microsoft.Outlook/logs

You can go to the path above after replacing the Outlook with Word, etc.

3.Gathering a system report by referring to https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203001

To protect your privacy, I have sent you a private message. Please access it via the steps below:
1. Go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site.
2. Click Private messages.
3. Click the subject title of the response to read the message.

Best regards,
Mills

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I will have to wait to test the account on another Mac. I don't have one available to use at this moment.

I uploaded all the logs to the requested site. Let me know if any other logs are needed.

Thanks,

Joel

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joel,

We have received the logs you provided in workspace and we have involved related team for further investigation. Once there are any updates from them, we'll let you know.

Moreover, I'd like to collect the following information for further investigation:
1.The tenant domain information. (E.g. contoso.onmicrosoft.com);
2.Global Administrator's email address;
3.The contactable email address of your global admin;
4.All the affected users' accounts.

To protect your privacy, I have sent you a private message asking for the information. You can go to this link to access to  the Private Message: https://community.office365.com/user/conversations

Best regards,
Mills

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joel,

Are there any updates when you test on another Mac? If you need further assistance, please provide the detailed information requested in the private message.

Best regards,
Mills

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 22, 2021 Views 92,028 Applies to: