Yellow dot beside Microsoft Exchange account

Hi there,

I have a Microsoft Exchange account, I have logged into the app on my iPhone and iPad using the exact same credentials fine, but it really struggles with the outlook app on my Macbook. 
I can log in, using the correct username, password domain and server name, and for the first 5 minutes the dot is green (signalling what I can assume is a strong connection) but thereafter it will not sync. It turns orange and then it won't update my inbox/ I can't send emails etc. at the bottom of the screen it says "last synced XXXX" and "Connecting to XXXX" but it never connects and the account never turns green. I have to delete the account and log back in to get the dot to turn green, but the same problem continuously occurs after 5 minutes. 
I have contacted support 3 times for this issue, but no significant progress is made. 

Has anyone experienced this before? If so, please can you help me? I can't see any reason why this issue seems to constantly happen. 

Hi Cassie,

I'd like to inform you that we have stopped support for Outlook 2011 for Mac in Oct. 2017, but since your issue is serious which affects general use of your mailbox, I'm willing to provide my help.

1. First thing is checking whether your Outlook is updated to the latest version, you may use the following method to check if there is available update: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/check-for-office-for-mac-updates-automatically-bfd1e497-c24d-4754-92ab-910a4074d7c1 If the issue persists after updating, please provide your current version in your next post.
  2. Click Tools tab and choose sync errors, check if there are specific errors in the dialog, if so, please collect some screenshots and send to me.
  3. Try to send a test email and check if there is send/receive errors at right bottom of the screen, if so, open it and try to resend, will Outlook reconnect?

Feel free to share any update at your convenience.

Regards,

Leo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Leo, 

Thank you for your help, I very much appreciate it. Although, may I ask, why have you stopped support for Mac? My outlook is office 2016, my Macbook is admittedly older (bought 2011) but its software is all up to date. 

1) I have updated outlook but to no avail, im still presented with the orange dot.

2) There are no sync errors presented to me in the sync error option. 

3) I have sent a test email but it says “sending” and doesn’t ever send... it’s just stuck sending. 

I am still very much an orange dot ! 

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Best wishes

Cassie

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Cassie,

Sorry for the misunderstanding and we are still supporting Office 2016 for Mac. Just now I noticed you posted this thread in Office 2011 category, so I was thinking you are using Outlook 2011 for Mac which we stop support. And I helped move your case to 2016 category now.

For Outlook 2016 for Mac users, we have created a dedicated support channel with Outlook for Mac experts for them and I'd like to introduce this support option to you. You can directly contact our Outlook in-app support team within your Outlook: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_mac/new-contact-support-feature-in-outlook-2016-for/d4fc21c4-25e2-4e10-b943-1fba6542b517 

Hopefully this issue can be solved by our experts there.

Regards,

Leo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The orange dot signifies that Outlook has lost the connection to the server.

First, be sure Outlook actually does have the latest update. Go to the Outlook menu and choose About Outlook. You should have version 16.11.1

If you need to update, follow these instructions:

Ensure your Mac and Office have the latest updates. Here’s how to install updates:

Make sure your Mac has a working internet connection, then:

1. Update Mac OS X. Open the App store and click on the Updates button. Install the updates.
  2. After, in any Office application go to the Help menu and choose Check for Updates to launch the AutoUpdate app. Let AutoUpdate install updates and then restart your Mac.

If you use Antidote, Webex, Silverlight, EndNote, Zotero or other add-ins there is a potential for crashes unless you also update your add-ins to the latest update. Install updates for these programs if you have them.

Usually for an exchange account you don't enter anything more than your email address and password when setting up your account. Why are you manually configuring the account? Try adding a new account and entering only your email address and password and let Outlook do the configuring.

Be sure to include the version number and OS version when asking your question.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 6, 2023 Views 486 Applies to: