Xml entries for "Automatically update document styles" for docx files

Hi all

does anyone know the related xml entries for "Automatically update document styles" for docx files? 

Must be at the xml level without opening the document and not at the application level. Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated June 12, 2019 Views 41 Applies to:

I found the "linkStyles" on "word/settings.xml" controls this option. However, simply deleting that entry to disable the option will cause some kind of unknown data dependency loss. 

Anyone who know how to properly do this (again, application level using Interop or OpenXml is not an option)? 

Thanks

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

What is the value of the setting in the xml file? Rather than deleting it, you should change its value from True to False or 1 to 0 depending on what format it uses.
Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

In a test that I just performed here, the difference between a document in which the "Automatically update document styles" box was checked and the same document where it was unchecked, was the presence in the former of the xml statement in the word\settings.xml file of 

<w:linkStyles/>

If I deleted that xml statement and then re-zipped the file and changed the extension back to .docx, it was possible to open the file without any error message appearing and on going to the Templates tab of the Templates and Add-ins dialog, the "Automatically update document styles" box was unchecked

In another test, with a document in which the "Automatically update document styles" box was unchecked, if I added

into the settings.xml file and then rezipped the file and changed the extension and opened that file, he "Automatically update document styles" box was checked.

I do not know why ChangSun23 was getting some kind of unknown data dependency loss, but it definitely appears that the presence or otherwise of

is what controls the settings for "Automatically update document styles".

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
Screen shots by Snagit from www.techsmith.com

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

What is the value of the setting in the xml file? Rather than deleting it, you should change its value from True to False or 1 to 0 depending on what format it uses.

Andrew, I tried the same sort of tests as Doug described, with the same results, but I also tried entering 

<w:linkStyles=0/>

When that was re-zipped into the document, it caused a syntax error message and the document failed to open.

Sorry this didn't help.