work email private email microsoft account login issue

I need help to separate my work and private microsoft accounts which have the same login email.

I constantly get the popup saying there is something wrong with my microsoft account

When I follow the instructions I get to the point that I try to replace my work address but the system just wont let me.

This has been going on for months - can anyone help?

Kind regards

Dominic

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

What exactly do you mean by "Work" account, do you simply mean your work email address, if so you simply add that mail address to MS Outlook, or do you mean something else?

But if you mean your Work Office 365 then if you are authorised you use OWA (Office web Access)

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi BigBadDom,
You have a Microsoft account set up using the same address as your work email?

You need to log into https://account.live.com/names/Manage and add an outlook.com address to your profile and set it as primary.

Do you have any subscriptions or purchases linked to your Microsoft account (on the services and subscriptions page)? If so, don't remove the work address from the account. You can remove the ability to sign in using the address - using the link at the bottom of the page for sign in preferences.
--
Diane Poremsky
M365 MVP, specializing in Outlook, Exchange, and Microsoft 365 apps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My personal Office 365 Home account used to be accessed using my private (personal) email address as primary email address

A third party organisation that I volunteer for provides an email address (which I use for volunteer work) and access to Office 365 Business (which I try not to use).

I also have my own business with a hosted domain for all my business emails and latterly have used this 'work' email address to join a Microsoft Teams team.

I believe this was the point at which things started to go wrong because I was not aware (I not sure many people are aware) that there are two different microsoft accounts - a business account and a personal account.  I started getting popups when accessing Teams asking me which account I wanted to use to access teams.   My uninformed 'solution' was to add my business email address to my personal account as an alias and to make it the primary address.  This made no difference to the 'which account?' popup but added persistent Microsoft notifications that there was a problem with my Microsoft account. 

I learned next by research on forums that these two different parts of Microsoft are distinct and should be kept separate - however I am finding it impossible to reverse my actions.   

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Diane - thanks for responding.

I have Office 365 Home subscription within personal Microsoft account

I have business teams on Microsoft Teams that I need to maintain contact with via the business Microsoft account.

The problem is that in my personal Microsoft account, if I try to manage my private email address to make it primary again (to replace my work email address) - I just get a red text response saying 'We are unable to make private@emailaddress primary at this time, please try again later'

It has been like this for about 8 weeks  

Any assistance would be appreciated

Dominic

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The private address is not an outlook.com alias? If the address is the same one used with Teams, you can't make an address on the office 365 business side primary.
--
Diane Poremsky

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The private address is a yahoo address

I dont really understand the second part of your response.  I use my work address for teams.  I have manage to make my work address primary alias form my Office 365 Home account and cannot change it back to my private address.

I have tested of scenarios

@volunteer.org gets me into Office 365 Business 

account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/r/#/profile

@businessdomain.co.uk choosing Personal Account gets me into Office 365 Home

account.live.com/names/Manage

@businessdomain.co.uk choosing Work or School Account gets me into Office 365 Business

portal.office.com

and gives me the option of taking over admin for businessdomain.co.uk

I have not done this as yet because I dont want to make matters worse!

Dominic  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

>>
I dont really understand the second part of your response. I use my work address for teams. I have manage to make my work address primary alias form my Office 365 Home account and cannot change it back to my private address.
>>
I was concerned that the work address was also the Microsoft account address - but as long as the yahoo address is not the work address, you are ok.

The forum software removed your address example - if the domains are different, @domain.com is sufficient to use as an example.

>>
*** Email address is removed for privacy *** choosing Work or School Account gets me into Office 365 Business
portal.office.com and gives me the option of taking over admin for businessdomain.co.uk
>>
Do you own the businessdomain.co.uk domain name? I believe you need access to the DNS records to take over as admin.
--
Diane Poremsky

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK I have edited the post - I had only used anonymised generic addresses to make clear the differences. 

Hopefully it is now clear.

Yes I own my business domain.  I have set up a new business email starting with admin that I plan to use as the admin for the business domain on Office 365 for Business.  

Im not sure how this would help my problem in the Home version though!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Much better.

>>
@businessdomain.co.uk choosing Personal Account gets me into Office 365 Home
account.live.com/names/Manage

@businessdomain.co.uk choosing Work or School Account gets me into Office 365 Business
portal.office.com
and gives me the option of taking over admin for businessdomain.co.uk
>>
This indicates you subscribed to a free business service - often teams, but could be visual studio, flow or maybe another service - using that address.

You have two choices - add an outlook.com alias to the Microsoft account and set it as primary then remove sign in rights for the address. (Do not delete the address since you have a subscription linked to it) Or take over as admin (can only do it if you own the domain name or manage the DNS) and remove your account from it.
--
Diane Poremsky

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When you said add outlook.com email and make primary to Microsoft account - I accessed Office 365 Home account.live.com/names/Manage using the @businessdomain.co.uk address choosing Personal Account

I added an outlook.com alias and attempted to make it primary with the result of red text above the new alias "We were unable to make @outlook.com your primary alias. Please try again later"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 18, 2024 Views 217 Applies to: