Word for Mac spell check

When I type in Word on my Mac, Autocheck for spelling and grammar notices when I make an error, but does not automatically correct it, even though I have checked off that function.
Answer
Answer

Your observation is correct... I don't know which email program you're using but I'm sure it doesn't work in the same way.

The Spelling & Grammar function in Word does not automatically correct anything. It flags the suspected errors & offers suggestions, but you have to determine whether a change gets made regardless of whether using the full Spelling & Grammar check or the Check spelling as you type sub-feature.

AutoCorrect is a separate feature altogether. It's only connection to the Spelling & Grammar feature is represented by the check box at the bottom of the AutoCorrect Preferences Pane which works as Charles explained: The substitution will be made only if there is no more than one alternative suggested from the Dictionaries. Other than that it makes changes automatically only for items included in the AutoCorrect List. Numerous items are built-in but the list can be customized to remove any of those items as well as to add items of your own. The items you add can be added as Formatted text so the are inserted in the manner they were saved or as Plain text so that when inserted they conform to the character formatting being used at that location in the document.

AI: Artificial Intelligence or Automated Idiocy???

Few tools work well if you don’t learn to use them.

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." - Alexander Pope

Regards,
Bob J.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 215 Applies to: