Word Files Read Only on Android

I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3. I have purchased Office 365.

I am not using an SD card currently for this issue.

I am trying to open and edit basic .docx Word files on my tablet.  No matter what I do, the files are read only and I cannot do anything with them. I have tried opening them from dropbox, from my email, from one drive, and from my system memory.  Nothing I do allows the files to be edited.  This is pretty obnoxious as I own the files and pay for 365.  According to everything I have read I should be able to edit the files. They view fine and look as they do on any of my PCs, but are read only.

Is there any fix at all? Why is this even a problem. What is the point of the Android office app if you cannot even edit files?

Question Info

Last updated November 15, 2019 Views 31,575 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Upon checking our resources here, .docx Word file can be edited and opened in Word for Android tablet. Since this is not happening on your end, the file that you're trying to open can be marked with Read-only as Attribute. To check and correct the issue, follow the steps below:

1. Open the Word document from the File Explorer of your Android tablet, right-click on it.
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Under General tab, check on Attributes.
  4. Uncheck the option for Read-only if it is checked.
  5. Click Apply then OK.
  6. Try to access the Word document again and see if you can now edit it.

The steps provided above suits for Windows 10 PC or laptops as we have limited access to Android tablets. However, the steps are also effective in resolving your concern.

Update us on how it goes.

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Upon checking our resources here, .docx Word file can be edited and opened in Word for Android tablet. Since this is not happening on your end, the file that you're trying to open can be marked with Read-only as Attribute. To check and correct the issue, follow the steps below:

1. Open the Word document from the File Explorer of your Android tablet, right-click on it.
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Under General tab, check on Attributes.
  4. Uncheck the option for Read-only if it is checked.
  5. Click Apply then OK.
  6. Try to access the Word document again and see if you can now edit it.

The steps provided above suits for Windows 10 PC or laptops as we have limited access to Android tablets. However, the steps are also effective in resolving your concern.

Update us on how it goes.

I am finding the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2.  I too pay an annual MS subscription.  I bought it because cross platform compatibility is clearly implied because you can download the office suite for desktop, android and apple.  The reply that Microsoft has limited access to android tablets . . . . I'm sorry, really?  The R&D department at Microsoft can't afford a Galaxy tab???  How did you write and test the miscrosoft apps for Android? This really needs to be fixed ASAP as I assure you this limited functionality renders the MS suite nearly useless and this wont be an incentive for me to buy a microsoft tablet as I'm sure it won't be for anyone else.  I hope to have a constructive reply soon, thank you, as I'm sure a lot of other people around the world would.

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have found the root cause. 

I've made two exact copy's of a file, put one in Google Drive and one in Onedrive. Guess which one opens with 'Read Only' and which one doen't..

I see what you did there Microsoft..

35 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have found the root cause. 

I've made two exact copy's of a file, put one in Google Drive and one in Onedrive. Guess which one opens with 'Read Only' and which one doen't..

I see what you did there Microsoft..

The same thing is happening to me. I have a Google Drive account and a Microsoft OneDrive account. In Google drive I can only open a word doc as "read only". When I try save a "copy" as the mobile version of word prompts me to do, it saves a file with 0kb of data. If I try open this saved doc it returns an error message. If I access the original document by first opening the Word app and then navigating within the app to the file in Google Drive the document opens fine and saves fine...I don't get the "read only" message. In OneDrive there are no problems at all - my Word docs view fine, open fine and save fine. I have been meaning to log this issue with Microsoft Support as it is clearly a problem. I hope someone from Microsoft sees this thread and can explain this bizarre app behaviour.

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

We understand that you are also having issues editing your Word files. Since you are still unable to edit files and you are using an Android device, we suggest that you contact our Answer Desk team for an in-depth assistance. This issue requires advance troubleshooting steps. They can further check why the files would open as "read only". To reach them, please access this link.

Should you have any other concerns, feel free to message us again.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

The word app on my android phone wont let me do anything unless I'm signed in to the microsoft account and also I cant turn off one drive when I'm logged in. So am I permenently stuck being unable to edit my documents?

This is very annoying because everything worked perfectly on my old phone

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same question

Sorry this didn't help.

This may not help, but on my Android phone it depends on how I open the Word app .docx file.  The native Moto file manager app opens them as read only, but the ZenUI ASUS file manager I installed from the Play Store opens them as editable.  

I don't really understand Android well, but it may have something to do with permissions.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Nexus 6p and also can only access Word files as read only. Microsoft please fix this problem as a matter of urgency. Thankyou

Sorry this didn't help.

To edit word files  open the file  in word app that is the second choice in option 

After new file.^_^

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.