Word - Diary template

I was trying to design or write daily diary for myself i could not find a template to satisfy me.

I want to insert formula in the header from the second page, say first page date + 1, so that when i enter next sheet it automatically show the date in the header, one sheet for one day and i can start the daily happening

Please let me know how to do this.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you just want a page break and a date for each new day, you can make use of a macro such as the following:

Sub CreateNewDiaryEntry()
With Selection
.InsertBreak wdPageBreak
.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
.InsertAfter Now()   'System default Date format
.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
End With

End Sub

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

The macro adds a page break followed by the current date and time in the system default format.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks Stefan,

I try to follow the link, looks very complicate, i am not programmer kind?

The link is not for this simple template right??

I do see the macro in Tools but after that i do not know the steps.

I will try to follow the link and come back if i fail fully

Regards

Bala

Be positive

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11), have you managed to copy the code into a code module in the Normal template? In that case, you can attach the macro to a button on your Quick Access Toolbar.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A simple way to do it is to start with an Excel Workbook.

On Sheet 1, in Cell A1, insert the word "Date"

In Cell A2, insert the formula =Today()

In Cell A3, insert the formula = A2+1

Then copy that formula down as many rows as required.

Then save this workbook and then in Word, with a new document on the screen, go to the Mailings tab of the ribbon and click on the Start Mail Merge dropdown in the Start Mail Merge section of the ribbon and select "Letters". 

Then, click on Select Recipients and then on Use Existing List and then navigate to, and select the Excel  Workbook that you created, selecting Sheet 1 as the source of the data.

Then, in the Word document, with the selection where you want the date to appear, using the Insert Merge Field dropdown, select the Date field and insert it into the document.  Add any other text that you want to appear on each page, and save this document, which will be your Mail Merge Main Document.  Then, with that document as the active document, in the Finish section of the Mailings tab of the ribbon, click on Finish & Merge and select Edit Individual Documents.

When the process has finished running, you will have a document that contains a page for each day with the date where you inserted the merge field.

If the date is not in the format that you want it, modify the «Date» field in the Mail Merge Main document, following the procedure in the article "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

Keep the Excel Workbook and the Mail Merge Main document as you can use them again when you want to create more pages.  Just opening the Excel Workbook and recalculating it will cause the =Today() field to update to the current day and likewise all of the dates in the cells below it will be updated.

Another way to do it is to down load fellow MVP Macropod's Word Date Calculation Tutorial from:

http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party

and extract the file from the archive and then on Page 11, copy the range of dates that are highlighted in the following screen shot:

and paste them into a new document.  Then starting with the second date, select it and the rest of the dates and copy and paste them as many times as required.  Then press CTRL+a to select every this and then press F9 to update the date.  Finally, select everything except for the first date and format the paragraphs to have a page break before them.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated March 17, 2024 Views 9,364 Applies to: