Word 2016 - Unable to access local Templates

In Word 2016, I normally use the shortcut "New Document or Template.. (FileNewDialogClassic)" in the QAT menu to access my user templates.  However, this morning, clicking on this button causes Word to close (not shutdown, but completely blink out).

If I use the (Ctrl+N) shortcut, it does the same thing.

If I use the "File > New" path, the only templates that Word shows are the built-in templates (which I never have occasion to use). 

In older versions, there used to be a "Personal" selection available, however this is no longer listed.

If I simply navigate to the template folder, and open the template, when I save it, it wants to create a new template, not a new file.

I went to the Apps > MS Office (Click to run) and performed a repair installation, however that had no effect.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Question Info

Last updated November 15, 2019 Views 503 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

In Word 2016, I normally use the shortcut "New Document or Template.. (FileNewDialogClassic)" in the QAT menu to access my user templates.  However, this morning, clicking on this button causes Word to close (not shutdown, but completely blink out).

If I use the "File > New" path, the only templates that Word shows are the built-in templates (which I never have occasion to use). 

In older versions, there used to be a "Personal" selection available, however this is no longer listed.

If I simply navigate to the template folder, and open the template, when I save it, it wants to create a new template, not a new file.

I went to the Apps > MS Office (Click to run) and performed a repair installation, however that had no effect.

This is a change in the latest release 1903.

Vote and Comment on UserVoice

https://word.uservoice.com/forums/304924-word-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/37338250-classic-legacy-filenew-dialog-removed-from-1903

Complain using the Feedback feature.

[Edit: It does not cause this problem for everyone; it may be restricted to Office 365 and 2019. See posts following from Doug Robbins and Stefan Blom.]

Volunteering to pay forward and help the Microsoft user community.]

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal website: http://addbalance.com

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you open a template rather than double-click on it, it will save as a template (the same template).

Although the classic dialog is broken (temporary, I hope), you can access your own templates by putting them in the folder designated for your Custom Office Templates or the Workgroup Templates folder.

File New Variations in the Versions of Word

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a change in the latest release 1903.

https://word.uservoice.com/forums/304924-word-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/37338250-classic-legacy-filenew-dialog-removed-from-1903

Why does Microsoft keep getting rid of useful tools, and not replacing them with something else?

That being said, I have no way to access my templates rather than opening them directly and converting them to documents.  While this is a work-around, it is cumbersome, and prone to accidental saves.

How do I roll back the update to a previous version of office? and then turn off updates?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why does Microsoft keep getting rid of useful tools, and not replacing them with something else?

That being said, I have no way to access my templates rather than opening them directly and converting them to documents.  While this is a work-around, it is cumbersome, and prone to accidental saves.

How do I roll back the update to a previous version of office? and then turn off updates?

I do not work for MS and cannot explain what they do. This may be a mistake or it may be a policy decision. It annoys me.

It does not keep you from access to your templates. I forces you to use the clunky (IMO) File New system. That system is set forth in my page on File New. Briefly, you can designate the  folder holding your templates as the default save location for new templates. You can designate that folder as your Workgroup Templates folder. Either of those will give you access.

See also this Wiki article.

That does not, in my opinion, excuse MS for making this change, but you do have access to your templates within Word. I again urge you to post feedback and vote at UserVoice to get MS to change this back.

Templates in Microsoft Word

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your response.

I found a work-around that seems to work well.  I installed an older version of Office that has none of the issues the new one does.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2770432/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2013-or-office-2016-clic

Now that it is up and running well again, I disabled the updates. 

I also disabled the Windows 10 updates as well since the last one killed my bluetooth for about a week.

The old way using File > New no longer has the "Featured" and "Personal" as it did before.  There seems to be no path to getting anywhere except to the MS templates from there.  (see Image)

Sorry this didn't help.

No problem here with the New Document or Template dialog with Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2019 with Version 1903 (Build 11425.20202) or after updating just now to Version 1903 (Build 11425.20204) or with the same versions and builds of Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
Screen shots by Snagit from www.techsmith.com

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Like Doug, I haven't noticed any problems in the most recent build of version 1903.

If the issue persists, try troubleshooting add-ins.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP
Volunteer Moderator
~~~~
Note that MVPs do not work for Microsoft
MVP program information: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Is this Word 2016 or Word 365?

I have not observed this with perpetual license Word 2016 and have observed it with Word 365. Same release 1903.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried most troubleshooting including no add-ins, refreshing normal.dotm, quick and online repair.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Sorry this didn't help.

I thought that the programs were Office 2016, and the office 365 was the subscription service?

In any case, this is the office suite that was originally installed on the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 when I purchased it.  The product information page states "Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus". 

I am now running version 1901 (Build 11231.20174) which restored my shortcut to the templates.  (shortcut "New Document or Template.. (FileNewDialogClassic)" ).

I remember the method using File > New to reach the options "Featured" and "Personal".  However since I added the shortcut to the QAT menu, I stopped using the File > New method.

I am not sure when the File > New method was removed, it is not in the current build, and was not in the 1903 build.

I would think that if Microsoft wanted to remove the shortcut, they would at least have the decency to provide an option to access the templates rather than leave it with nothing.

In any case, thank you for your help in resolving this.

Sorry this didn't help.