Word 2016 stops responding without warning. Clip holder issue?

Hi,

I am working in Word 2016 (Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016) and I often experience that Word stops responding. I frequently use copy/paste from other documents or websites to describe linguistic corrections that are required, but first need approval from other stakeholders. Could this be an issue with the clip holder being overloaded? In that case, it would mean a world of difference if the user could get a warning about this, so that the user can save the document and close it to clear the clip holder. When Word just stops responding, some of my work is lost, and Word can only be closed via the Job list. When I try to reopen my document, Word may warn me that another user is using the document (there is no other user, but since the document was not closed properly, I have to rename it to continue working on it). I hope that you will fix this repetitive and super frustrating issue.

Thanks, Marianne

|

Dear Marianne Stryhn,

Good day!! Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I'm sorry to hear that you have issue with Word 2016. Since we mainly focus on Microsoft 365 Business Subscription related Office issues, as you are using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016, I recommend you post your concern to the dedicated channel Microsoft Q&A Community with Word tag, members and engineers over there have the same Word 2016 test environment and correct escalation channel to help you investigate this issue.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding!

In addition, as far as I know, overloading the clipboard may contribute to performance issues in some cases. As far as I know, there could be other factors.

1. If you suspect the clipboard being overloaded, you may clear it manually. For example, on Windows 11, open Windows Settings > choose System > choose Clipboard from the right pane > click the Clear button next to the ‘Clear clipboard data’ option.

2. Some add-ins can cause conflicts or slow down Word. You may open Word in safe mode and check the outcome: Right-click the Start button (lower-left corner) in Windows, and click Run. In the Run box, type  winword /safe and click OK.

Safe mode will disable all add-ins. If it works fine in Safe mode, then you can exist safe mode by quitting Word. Then restart Word, go to File> Options> Add-ins, disable only one add-in each time to identify which add-in causes the issue.

If issue still happens after you try troubleshooting steps above, I'm very sorry about it. I would still recommend you work with the engineers in Microsoft Q&A Community, they may provide your further troubleshooting steps and help you find the root cause.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation! Hope you have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Tina | Microsoft Community Moderator

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you, Tina!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 23 Applies to: