Word 2013 Templates: "Featured" vs "Personal" vs "Shared" vs "Custom" location names!

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

Word 2013 changed (again, <sigh> ) the way templates are handled. Unfortunately the names used are not obvious. I've been puzzled about it for a while now and finally tripped over some answers. This wiki tries to summarize what I've found.

There is also a 2016 version of this wiki, the folder labels are slightly different:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/wiki/msoffice_word-msoffice_custom/word-2016-templates-featured-vs-shared-vs-custom/d23e9c8f-5420-4bcd-84fd-e502e21ab0a5

Charles Kenyon at Addbalance found another variation, "Private" that I had not seen.  Definitely do take a look at his article for a much more detailed description of how various versions of Word handle templates

Addbalance: File New in Microsoft Word - Access to User and Workgroup Templates

Details

In the Word 2013 "File menu > New command" backstage "pain" <sic, grin> I have read many questions and replies describing a "Featured" location and multiple other second locations such as "Personal" or "Shared" or "Custom" or "Private".  But no one was ever clear on the significance of those 3 names.  I finally tripped over the answer, and will share it with you.

For more information about the File > New dialog in earlier versions of Office, 97-2013, see, "File New in Microsoft Word - Access to User and Workgroup Templates": http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/fileNew.htm

Office 2013 User Interface Reminder

Just a reminder, in the Office 2013 user interface things that look like "text" or "labels" may also be "clickable" buttons / tabs. This is one case.  When the backstage pane is displayed after clicking on File menu > New command you see the "New" documents pane.  It gives you templates options you can work with. Either by searching for them, or using "local" templates.  Everyone will see a "label" called "FEATURED" and one of several other options.  Featured, and these other options are actually "buttons" you can click on. If you look VERY closely, you will see that the currently selected label will be displayed in a different color.

"Featured" vs "Personal" vs "Shared" vs "Custom" vs "Private"

"Featured"

The "Featured" tab is only displayed when either one or both of "Workgroups" or "Personal Templates" locations is defined.  If neither is defined you will see the default templates that MS Offers. It will look something like this:

"Personal"

For this next screen capture, I defined a location for my "personal" templates. These are templates you typically create for your own use. They are stored on your machine and you don't expect to share these templates with anyone else.  You define the Personal templates location in the File menu > Options command > Save option > "Default personal Templates location:"  . Enter (or paste) the location of your personal templates.

Note: I used my "F:\" (data) drive, you will most likely use your C:\user\"personal profile location"

Additional discussion about Personal Template vs User Template Locations

Here is what the File menu >New command backstage pane looks like with the Personal template location defined.  You still have the search field and suggestions, but now you also have the "Featured" and "Personal" buttons

Note: I have highlighted the "Featured" button in yellow and the "Personal" button in green. You will NOT see these colors!

This is what you will see in the backstage pane, without my highlighting:

"Shared"

You will see the "Shared" label/button when you only define a "Workgroup" location but no "Personal" location.  The Workgroup location is defined in the "old" dialog.  You get to this dialog by going to the File menu > Options command > Advanced option (blue box #1) > scroll down to the General section > Click on the "File locations ... " button (yellow highlight, blue box #2) to display the "File Locations" dialog box.  In the File Locations dialog, double click on the "Workgroup Templates" entry (yellow highlight, blue box #3) to display the file find dialog.  Navigate to the Workgroup templates location, typically on a shared drive on your network that users only have read only access to.

With only a Workgroup templates location defined, no "Personal" location defined you will see a shared button. When you click on the Shared button it will display all of the templates and/or folders defined in that location.  Often, if you have many corporate templates, they will be logically arranged in folders. In that case you would first see those folders.

"Custom"

If you have defined BOTH a personal location and a workgroup location then the second button/label you see will be "Custom" . On that tab you will see the 2 folder names you have defined for those locations. Clicking on either one will then take you to those templates, and/or their subfolders.

It will look something like this:

"Private"

If it says "Private" that means that you have not designated any folder as the Workgroup Templates folder and clicking on "Private" will give you a view of the templates in the folder designated under the File>Options>Save for your custom Templates Folder

Outstanding Question

I am wondering what happens if your Workgroup location is defined on SharePoint (is this even possible?) rather than a shared network drive.  Has anyone encountered this? Please leave a comment describing what you see

Thanks to Shannon-STP we have a reply to my Outstanding Question. Yes, you can define a shared Workgroup location in SharePoint:

<snip>

Just to answer your question: yes, you can store your Workgroup Templates in Sharepoint.  This is what I have under File->New, with my Workgroup Templates stored on our Sharepoint Team Site.  NB: of course users in the workgroup would need to have access to the document library where the templates are stored, and they would need to be able to browse to that location to define it as the default Workgroup Templates file location - so would need to use the sync client for that library first. 

</snip>

Related Reading

Charles Keynon (a frequent replier on this site) has a page of information related to this issue on his site.  Take a look at this page:

File New in Microsoft Word - Access to User and Workgroup Templates

Was this article helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback.

It happens the same thing . Custom , if you add your sharepoint to your library.

But only if you put more than one library.

I dont know how but when i loaded a custom  site template from  microsoft it changed to "name of the site - name of the library" , at this time i had no success trying to replicate this scenario.

Was this comment helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this comment?

It happens the same thing . Custom , if you add your sharepoint to your library.

I dont know how but when i loaded a custom  site template from  microsoft it changed to "name of the site - name of the library" , at this time i had no success trying to replicate this scenario.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is all great - but how to I change "Featured" or "Custom" to read as the name of my organisation or department? THAT is what I really need to know.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Simple, you don't. 

The names are hard coded, they display depending on the specific conditions.

Yes, I know you used to be able to define custom folder names for custom templates

Another "improvement" from MS removing control from users.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Sorry this didn't help.

It is possible to arrange such that the headers read the name of your organisation or department. Simply rename your organisation or department to "Featured" or "Custom". You might get some pushback from management, marketing etc, but in the long run, it will make it easier for people to find the right templates.

Regards

Sorry this didn't help.

aks a simple question and get a complex answer ( no criticism intended) but  I just want to know th path to my word 2013 template folder so I can copy a template to a collegue. It will not save it to where I send it so how do I find it?

If it has not got buttons, wheels or ***** (Censored) I don't play with it!

Sorry this didn't help.

It's a real shame that MS Word functions that took one or two keystrokes "back in the day" now take six or eight keystrokes. And it's a real shame that the acreage on my monitor is taken up with such large template symbols when I click on "New" in Microsoft Word 365. Even using my own personal templates is a hassle because first I have to detour to the page of "Featured" templates before I can get to my own. So I have the following questions...

1. Is there any way to make "New" default to "Personal" templates rather than "Featured" ones (which I never use)?

2. Is there any way to make the template symbols smaller so that I don't have to do so much scrolling in order to find the template I want?

3. What is the location of the folder where the "Featured" templates live? If I could find it I could delete the provided templates and replace them with the self-created templates I use and significantly simplify the creation of a "New" document.

Thanks to anyone who has answers to any of these questions.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's a real shame that MS Word functions that took one or two keystrokes "back in the day" now take six or eight keystrokes. And it's a real shame that the acreage on my monitor is taken up with such large template symbols when I click on "New" in Microsoft Word 365. Even using my own personal templates is a hassle because first I have to detour to the page of "Featured" templates before I can get to my own. So I have the following questions...

1. Is there any way to make "New" default to "Personal" templates rather than "Featured" ones (which I never use)?

2. Is there any way to make the template symbols smaller so that I don't have to do so much scrolling in order to find the template I want?

3. What is the location of the folder where the "Featured" templates live? If I could find it I could delete the provided templates and replace them with the self-created templates I use and significantly simplify the creation of a "New" document.

#0 they are "improvements" ...

#1  Don't know.

#2 No, that is hard coded in to Word

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Is there a way to make "New" default to "Personal" templates rather than "Featured" ones?

Yes, if you use it to configure your installation, there's a setting in the Office Customization Tool (OCT) that allows you to "Show Custom Templates tab by default in Word on the Office Start screen and in File|New." for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, as long as the "Hide all Office-provided templates on the Office Start screen and in File|New." setting is not Enabled. 

3. To answer your question 3, if the If the "Hide all Office-provided templates on the Office Start screen and in File|New." setting IS Enabled, then all Office provided templates are hidden (not deleted).

A second way is to make these settings in the Office Group Policy setting.

Our large regulatory agency has Office installed on Servers and uses Citrix terminal services, so none of our workstations has Office (or much other software installed on them).  The equivalent of the user's local or roaming profile (appdata) is stored on a server rather than on the desktop, so we don't use those traditional file locations that Microsoft usually forces. We have created a "MyTemplates" folder on the user's home network drive (U:\) and have a location for shared Workgroup templates (for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and Project" on a file server that has a mapped drive for all agency users (O:\MSOFFICE\). The Templates subfolders for each division are managed by Active Directory so each division sees only their own templates, plus the agency-wide templates. This is also set in the OCT as a Trusted Location on the Network so these templates can be macro-enabled without the security warning popping up. We've had this setup for years and each time we upgrade Office, we have to determine if the changes are going to break our method. 

Now that Office 2016 has introduced a Personal Templates location AND an Enterprise templates location (available ONLY to be set in the Office Customization Tool or Group Policy, as far as we can tell), we've had to try to figure out how to show what we want in the File/New page.

For us, we want have available "FEATURED" Templates, but for Word, default to the CUSTOM folder. Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Project, we want to default to FEATURED templates but have available CUSTOM templates. That's all possible by configuring with the OCT.

In the OCT, in Office Shared Paths, we configured Enterprise templates to be the same path as our WorkGroup Templates and set Personal templates path to the same as our User templates (where the normal.dotm is stored).

In File/Options/Save, the configuration from the OCT install (the .msp configuration file put in the "Updates" folder) sets the Default personal templates location to be set at U:\MyTemplates. The OCT configuration also sets the following paths during the installation.

In File/Options/Advanced/File Locations

User templates is set to U:\MyTemplates

Workgroup templates is set to O:\MSOFFICE\Templates (with 9 subfolders -- 1 for each division, with each division having subfolders representing each section within the division (yes we have a LOT of templates). With this setup, a division can set their Workgroup template path to O:\MSOFFICE\Templates\INS\Rates so a user only sees their Section's templates rather than a whole division's templates. This looks great/works great in the Classic New Document or Template dialog box from the Quick Access Toolbar.

AutoRecover files set to U:\Autorecover

Startup set to U:\MyStartup (for a global template that allows some of the VBA automation to work in our templates)

In Word, Excel, PowerPoint, this all works fine.

Visio however doesn't give us what is expected.  The OCT options for Visio does not have a setting for "Show Custom Templates tab by default in Word on the Office Start screen and in File|New." So, in Visio, what we get is CUSTOM and CATEGORIES, not FEATURED and CUSTOM. 

I'm pouring these site to try to find the solution and the articles from Charles Kenyon and Rohn007 have been invaluable. Do you have any insights into the Visio 2016 issue?

I hope the answers at the beginning  helps Efficiency Seeker.

1 person found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Forum Article Info

Last updated August 25, 2023 Views 755 Applies to: