windows cannot find "c:\program files\microsoft office\root\office16\winword.exe"

My Word and Excel programmes are no longer opening up on my PC.  They were working fine this morning.  I went out to a meeting and when I returned I tried to open Word and got this message:

windows cannot find "c:\program files\microsoft office\root\office16\winword.exe"  Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

My windows 10 version is 1903 (os build 18362.900)
I have an office 365 business standard subscription.

Things i've tried with no luck:

Uninstalled office and reinstalled it.

Switched off antivirus before trying to open Word.

Ran a virus scan of the PC

Tried the Microsoft support and recovery tool.

Tried opening Word by opening an existing .doc file

Please help.  

Answer
Answer

Hi All,

Thanks for the report and your updates in this case. To benefit all members identify the issue more easily, we have made the summary below. Please kindly check it and if you still have more problems, post back here and we will continue to help you.

ISSUE Description:

When users attempt to start an Office Application the following error may occur:

Windows cannot find "c:\program files\microsoft office\root\office16\outlook.exe" Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

This issue may occur for any Office application and for other non-Office applications.

The cases we investigated were due to Avast and confirmed in the Avast forum, https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=233129.msg1549710#msg1549710.  Per the guidance in that thread a fix has been released and you will get an automatic update.  Please see the specifics in that thread for more information.  

Reference: 

Windows cannot find "c:\program files\microsoft office\root\office16\outlook.exe

Regards,

Rena

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

1. open run  (Windows key + r)

2. type regedit 

3. navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options

4. delete the folders of the apps that don`t work 

31 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2020 Views 3,534 Applies to: