Windows 7 and Excel 2003 Hyperlinks Problem

This question has been asked before in these forums but no work around has ever been posted,  

I'm using Excel 2003 on Windows 7 and Excel opens all hyperlinks in Internet Explorer rather than the default program. I've checked all the settings and tried all the registry tweaks but they dont seem to work. 

In XP there is a small registry hack that forces the hyperlinks to be opened in the default program (say windows picture and fax viewer) but in Windows 7 i just cant find the work around for it, 

Any replies would be much appreciated

Thanks in Advance

Which is your default internet browser?

Are you trying to open a normal link (http) or a secured link (https) from Excel?

How does a hyperlink open when you try to open it from Wordpad?

Go to Start > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program. Then scroll down and check if you have the default browser set for both HTTP & HTTPS in the Protocols section at the bottom.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

the link is actually a hyperlink to an image file within the same folder, in XP by default clicking on these hyperlinks in the excel spreadsheets opens the images in internet explorer, but you can change that to open up in a different program (by changing the default program and/or a registry hack),  but in Windows 7 it doesnt work.

Asi said in my post, i've read through loads and loads of forums and posts and whatever has been suggested works great for XP but doesnt work in Windows 7, the problem is escalated further by the fact that its a 32-Bit office application on 64-Bit PC. 

I have found the solution, but i'd like you to post your solution before i put mine on the web.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have found the solution,

this solution is specific to 32-Bit office on 64-bit PC's (Mainly 32 Bit office on 64 bit windows 7 machines) , the link below is a fix for a different MS Excel problem but it works just as well in our case. See the NOTE Section for a solution to this problem. 
  1. Click Start, and then click Run. Type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
  2. In Registry Editor, browse to the following subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Common\Internet
    Note This registry key is the same for all versions that listed in the "Applies To" section. This registry key will not be different for the different versions. If you are running 32-bit Office on 64-bit Windows you need to use the Wow6432Node 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Common\Internet

3. Make sure the Internet subkey is selected. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then clickDWORD Value. Add the following registry value:
    Value Name: ForceShellExecute
  4. Double-click ForceShellExecute, and then set the Value data to 1. Click OK.
  5. On the Registry menu, click Exit.

See the link for further info:

Hope this helps everyone who has had so many problems with this issue.  It took me ages to find such a trivial fix for such an annoying problem. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad to know you fixed the issue. Thank you for sharing the resolution, as this would help other members of the community facing the same issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 7, 2023 Views 1,796 Applies to: