Why won't Office 365 install? (Only installs portal)

My school allows me to download Office 365+all of the programs such as word and excel from my home computer. I downloaded the setup wizard and went through the motions. At a certain point in the setup, it said that I cannot configure microsoft outlook because "a compatible version of microsoft outlook cannot be found". I hit continue, and this message comes up "You are now ready to use Office 365. A shortcut to the Office 365 Portal has been added to the start screen." However, I have none of the programs downloaded on my computer! The whole installation process seems to be skipped.

I've tried and retried to install this so many times and nothing. I even restarted my computer and nothing.

Do I need a  microsoft outlook app on my computer? Doesn't microsoft outlook come with office 365? So what's the point?

It's driving my totally nuts and I need Word for school! Please help!

Here's some photos if it helps.

Hello Maggiee,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand how it feels when you cannot install a product on your computer in the normal way. I will be helping you with this issue.

Since you mention that Office 365 seems to skip installation and does not appear in the Start Screen on Windows 8, let us check if it has been installed (even if it installed partially) on the computer or did not install at all.

Navigate to Programs and Features following these steps: 

1. On the main Start Screen type Control Panel in the Search box on the top right-hand corner of the screen.

2. Once Control Panel opens click on Programs and / or Programs and Features. 

Check if Office 365 is installed. If yes, then follow these steps as shown in the following Microsoft article to find the Office Shortcut icons on the computer and make them appear on the main start screen or how to create application shortcut icons on the computer.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/find-and-start-office-applications-in-windows-8-or-windows-rt-HA103581103.aspx

Note, you do not need to install Outlook 2013 separately if you have already installed Office 365 on the computer; as you have rightly noted Outlook 2013 is part of the Office 365 suite.

Check if Office 365 has been installed successfully.

Try the above steps and please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 1, 2022 Views 435 Applies to: