Why my Authenticator App isn't working

I downloaded the Microsoft authenticator app to log into my school email but it does not provide a QR code or code in the app to sign into the account. The app has my account logged in on the authenticator app but when I go into my laptop to sign into my office 365 school account it gives me a two-digit number, when I open the authenticator app, the app does not let me input the number anywhere. I click "I can't use my authenticator app right now" on my laptop and it asks me to input a code, but nowhere in the app does it give me a code. I have tried deleting the authenticator app then reinstalling, and it is already updated to the latest version, but nothing seems to work.

|

Dear

Good day! Thank you for posting in the Microsoft Community. We'll be happy to help!

First of all, we regret for the inconvenience caused to your work. Based on your description, I have a general understanding of your question, please first kindly change your method by following this official article and then check the result Change your verification method and settings in two steps - Microsoft Support.

If you are unable to access your account, you should contact your administrator for assistance in resetting your account verification method. Because since we're from the community team and we don't have those resources to reset any user's verification method. The user only needs to contact the administrator. Therefore, it is suggested to contact your university administrator and ask the administrator to reset the multi-factor authentication method. The administrator can do this by following the user authentication options. (If you're not sure who your admin is, you can check this out How do I find my Microsoft 365 admin? - Microsoft Support).

For authenticator app queries, you can also refer to this official article Microsoft Authenticator app common questions - Microsoft Support, and for more inquiries you can post your query to the Microsoft Authenticator app community team.

By the way, if you still need further help or if you are using admin account, due to the lack of relevant permissions and tools on our forum, in order to help you better and not waste any more time, it is advisable to contact our 365 support team directly by phone and they will help you further. For more information, see the following screenshots or white papers: Search for Microsoft 365 for business support phone numbers by country or region

Note: Please note that you must call the hotline Monday through Friday (9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday), sincerely apologize, and thank you again.

During the phone call, press "1" as a business email user and press "1" again for technical support. You may be asked for certain information for verification, such as account or subscription information, organization information, and phone number.

Here are some other phone numbers for support around the world: Global customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support

Note: Your Microsoft business or technical support engineer may collect information from alternate email addresses to help with the verification process.

Thank you in advance for your understanding! Your patience and cooperation will be greatly appreciated. I hope all the best!

Sincerely

Kerry Chen | Community Moderator

* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 37 Applies to: