Why is OneDrive icon missing from system tray and onedrive.exe is also missing?

This has happened to me twice in the last two days. The first time I had to uninstall OneDrive and download and install it again. There were many sync errors to correct. Today, I discovered a fix which was much easier and no sync problems. See steps below.

How can OneDrive just disappear with no warning that it is not protecting my files? Why is this happening?

Thanks!

Steps I took today:

Source http://byronwright.blogspot.com/

...I browsed around a bit more and found OneDriveSetup.exe in the %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\OneDrive\Update folder. I ran this file and I got the dialog box indicating that OneDrive was being prepared for first use. When it completed, it kept the settings for both my personal and OneDrive for Business. The only hiccup was that the file I was working on over the last two days was listed as a conflict that I needed to resolve.

As much as this annoyed me, I think this shows how much better the OneDrive client is than it used to be....

Hello I am a fellow community member here to help. Please try to reinstall the OneDrive app via the following guide

https://www.groovypost.com/tips/reinstall-onedr...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello I am a fellow community member here to help. Please try to reinstall the OneDrive app via the following guide

https://www.groovypost.com/tips/reinstall-onedr...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
You just repeated the solution I had discovered on my own and posted. It is the same program OneDriveSetup.exe but in a different folder. I prefer the link which discusses the problem and not just advice to reinstall OneDrive.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all, after 2 days of searching a solution I finally did it - One Drive is in System Tray after reinstall. The only solution that helped me was here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onedrivefb-mso_win10-mso_o365b/onedrive-doesnt-start-in-windows-10/b5c35700-de74-4a06-a912-55c9779224a6

1. Check Registry.

a)  Press (Windows key) + R to open the Run box.

b)  Type regedit and click OK

c)  Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\OneDrive. Make sure      DisableFileSyncNGSC is set to "0". (It is also OK if the registry doesn’t exist,)

2. Check Group Policy settings.

a)  Press (Windows key) + R to open the Run box.

b)  Type gpedit.msc and click OK.

c)  In the Local Group Policy Editor, in the folder list under Local Computer Policy, navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > OneDrive > Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage. Make sure it is set to "Not configured" or "Disabled".

3. Uninstall the OneDrive sync client

a)  Right click the Start menu on your Windows then select Run.

b)  Enter cmd then click OK

c)  Type in the following command and hit Enter to uninstall OneDrive.
For 32-bit Windows 10: %SystemRoot%\System32\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall
For 64-bit Windows 10: %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall

4. Install the OneDrive sync client

a)  Right click the Start menu on your Windows then select Run.

b)  Enter cmd then click OK

c)  Type in the following command and hit Enter to uninstall OneDrive.
For 32-bit Windows 10: %SystemRoot%\System32\OneDriveSetup.exe /install
For 64-bit Windows 10: %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /install

After step 4 I was able to see One Drive in my system tray after install....!!!

30 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

onedrive was missing in the registry.  Maybe I deleted it or something?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 8, 2020 Views 7,169 Applies to: