Why Can't I Edit Sharepoint User Permissions?

I've spent hours trying to change the permission level from the default Edit to a new permission level I added but the option is greyed out. I am the site owner

If it's not possible to edit these permissions, what's the best way to proceed? I need to be able to set a custom permission level for all Sharpoint Site documents.

Would it be best to Create Group, add the members to it and set the custom permission level. Then remove the members from the default Group?

Thanks

Answer
Answer

Hi,

You can't Edit User Permissions at the site level because permission at the Site Level is the parent and can’t stop inheriting the permissions. You can Edit User Permissions where you can stop inheriting permissions. As your requirement is to set the custom permission level for all SharePoint Site documents, you can go to SharePoint Document library and follow the below steps:

Open the Document library> Settings> Library settings> Permissions for this document library> Stop Inheriting Permission> Select the group you want to change the Permission level> Edit User Permissions> Change as per your requirement> OK

Please let us know if you still need any help.

Appreciate your understanding.

Best Regards,

Chitrahaas

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Once complete conversation about this topic, kindly Mark and Vote any replies to benefit others reading this thread.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2024 Views 4,767 Applies to: